[SOLVED] Brasero drive speed?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JonM33

[SOLVED] Brasero drive speed?

Post by JonM33 »

I have a 20X capable Lite-On DVD burner. I prefer to burn media no faster than 8X for data reliability. I also use only Verbatim DVD+R media rated at 16X.

In the two times I have burned a 4.37GB MKV file in Brasero I have told it to burn at 8X. The first DVD+R burned at 2X. Odd and it took a while but as long as it's a good burn I don't care. So I am doing another 4.37GB MKV file burn and told it to burn at 8X. It's currently burning at 20X. What the heck is wrong with this program? Is there a better Gnome alternative?

Oh, using Linux Mint 10 64-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Brasero drive speed?

Post by Elisa »

:lol: :lol:
That's why for its tricky behaviour (you never can be sure what really brasero will do... :lol: ) I've changed to k3b (in repo) which works fine even in gnome :wink:
JonM33

Re: Brasero drive speed?

Post by JonM33 »

Ugh, I'm burning another one and it's back to 2X speed!

I think I'll give up on Brasero. It's not doing what I need it to do.
JonM33

Re: [SOLVED] Brasero drive speed?

Post by JonM33 »

I gave up on it and installed K3B instead. Everything worked without a problem.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MintBooter wrote:Jon, I managed to solve this problem by disabling 2 plugins in Brasero, 1) file checksums and 2) image checksums, it now burns at the exact speed specified instead of the slow or unreliable speed. I then checked that everything was burnt properly by burning a data dvd, an .iso image and an audio cd just to be sure, they all were 100% good burns. This saved me from having to pull in all the KDE dependancies needed for k3b.
I disabled those plugins as suggested and tried it with another 4.37GB MKV file, setting the max burn speed to 8X. It started out at 8X and topped out at 20X. I'll live with the extra KDE library files as I have plenty of space on my hard drive. K3B seems to be the most superior burning application even if it isn't native to Gnome.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Except the step above 'opinion' :roll: k3b has twice more cool and reliable features and brasero and is one of most KDE apps which doesn't sh...t your gmome => it's cool and no reason do be afraid of any KDE stuff in gnome...
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Elisa wrote:Except the step above 'opinion' :roll: k3b has twice more cool and reliable features and brasero and is one of most KDE apps which doesn't sh...t your gmome => it's cool and no reason do be afraid of any KDE stuff in gnome...
K3B wasn't working properly. I checked "No Multisession" but it wouldn't finalize the media. The burn speed was accurate though.

My overall solution has been to install WINE and use a Windows based app called ImgBurn, which is free and functions perfectly.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

JonM33 wrote:K3B wasn't working properly. I checked "No Multisession" but it wouldn't finalize the media.
I've read some articles about it on the net but as other agree too it's not anyway so significant due all their CDs and DVDs have been working ok... As well as mine, I had no problem with any CD/DVD with k3b, so...?
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Elisa wrote:
JonM33 wrote:K3B wasn't working properly. I checked "No Multisession" but it wouldn't finalize the media.
I've read some articles about it on the net but as other agree too it's not anyway so significant due all their CDs and DVDs have been working ok... As well as mine, I had no problem with any CD/DVD with k3b, so...?
Not sure if you burn the same types of files I do. A single 4.37GB file will immediately fill up a blank DVD+R and needs UDF file structure due to the file limitation of ISO9660. You should also burn DAO and finalize the media for best results. I preferred Nero Burning ROM 10 but I won't pay $49 for a burning app.

So my needs were UDF, DAO, finalizing the media and 8X burn speed. Brasero failed and K3B wouldn't finalize, not sure if it was even doing DAO.

Return to “Software & Applications”