OpenMotif and Mint 10

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NJ_Dude

OpenMotif and Mint 10

Post by NJ_Dude »

I've noticed that OpenMotif doesn't work in Mint 10 (Mint Debian is fine) it seems Mint 10 has an older and broken/incomplete version on the repositories, on Mint 10 the version listed is Libmotif3 - 2.2.3.4 and on Mint Debian is Libmotif4 - 2.2.3.5.

If you are trying to use for example the CITRIX client which relies on OpenMotif, will not open, trying to run it from Terminal will display an error, LibXm.so.4 is not found.

Downloading and installing OpenMotif from the OpenMotif website fixes the problem, but why do that when the repositories could be updated, just my opinion.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: OpenMotif and Mint 10

Post by remoulder »

I don't think the mint repos do not contain this as mint uses either ubuntu's or debian's repos for other software, so you would need to ask the maintainers of those repos to update.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mads

Post by mads »

NJ_Dude wrote:...but why do that when the repositories could be updated, just my opinion.
Hi NJ_Dude.
I think it has to do with LMDE being a rolling distribution.
Last edited by mads on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

NJ_Dude wrote:Downloading and installing OpenMotif from the OpenMotif website fixes the problem, but why do that when the repositories could be updated, just my opinion.
but why do that when the repositories could be updated, just my opinion...
Because it does not syuit (match) the system you are using: as in this is a Debian based system
--choose your system and functions wisely..

And it is not even a .deb file
--the alternate installation methods for Linux are converting from another package manager, such as an .rpm file using Alien in debian, or installing via a compilation from source, a .tar type file (usually, as they are comprssed to speed download and save storage space on the downloading servers..)

If only that Citrix client can be used, you would have to install it via an alternate method
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679616
See post # 3..
NJ_Dude

Post by NJ_Dude »

Another issue, installing CITRIX receiver on Mint 10, the shortcut on the "Internet" menu disappears after a reboot, this doesn't happen on Mint Debian.

Return to “Software & Applications”