"No such file or directory" error on executing binaries

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spencer

"No such file or directory" error on executing binaries

Post by spencer »

I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this, but here goes:

When I download a binary executable file for Linux and try to run it on my Mint 10 system, I get the error "No such file or directory" even when I know for certain that the file is indeed there and I am in the correct directory. The tab-completion in Bash even fills in the file name for me, and then when I enter it it says the file does not exist.

The two specific cases where I have been having trouble are with the freeware Mathematica Player application and the Foldit game. After running the Mathematica Player installer successfully (I've checked and all the files are where they should be in /usr/local/Wolfram) the command "mathematicaplayer" returns the error
/usr/local/bin/mathematicaplayer: 237: /usr/local/Wolfram/MathematicaPlayer/7.0/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux/MathematicaPlayer: not found
despite the fact that the file in question is definitely in the listed path. The same occurred when I downloaded the Foldit protein folding game from fold.it and attempted to run the Linux binary they provide. I navigate to the directory where I put foldit, attempt to run it, and got a similar error.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?
Thanks in advance
-spencer
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: "No such file or directory" error on executing binaries

Post by remoulder »

You need to prefix the name with the path, if you are in the same directory the path is simply ./ If the file is a shell script you may also need to start the command with sh ...
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
spencer

Post by spencer »

I know. I am using the correct directory paths; that is not the issue.
For instance in the directory where I have the Foldit binary './Foldit' returns 'bash: ./Foldit: No such file or directory.' This is, of course, wrong, since the Foldit file is indeed in that directory.
They are not shell scripts.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Any ideas? The permissions on the files are correct and they are set as executable, so that is not the problem either.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

spencer wrote:I know. I am using the correct directory paths; that is not the issue.
Believe the computer's response, the command is incorrect: not your own eyes..
Even though you say that is not the issue, it often enough is
The OS knows the command is incorrect, and gives you the error. the only question you have to ask yourself is why
  • that requires a careful repitition of the command line the whole and accurate spelling and syntax
--including all the correct parts (filenames)

Any ideas: Sure

In a terminal, check

Code: Select all

locate mathematica
--find any file paths/filenames of mathematica
And check the play name as well mathematicaplayer ?correct name or not
--make sure of your synatx for the commnads being used and all spelling (did you miss or include an extra character such as the directory separator, // instead of / )

To check, start from the beginning of the path to that executable name and see that you can drill down into each subdirectortory (each subfolder of the parent folders)
--you can use the GUI file manager or the ls command to check each level until you find the problem (an incorrect name that you have typed) or a missing directory

Application specifics, check how to install that player !
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematic ... Linux.html
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Linux binaries, by convention, are always lower-case only, so there will be no binary named Foldit, but it might be foldit. If there is an extension, you must include it, as in foldit.bin, for which you must use the entire filename, including the extension of .bin. There is also no space between ./ and the filename, just in case. If there is indeed a file named Foldit, then it is almost certainly a subdirectory, and you need to cd into it to find the actual binary and supporting files.
spencer

Post by spencer »

DrHu wrote:Believe the computer's response, the command is incorrect: not your own eyes..
Even though you say that is not the issue, it often enough is
The OS knows the command is incorrect, and gives you the error. the only question you have to ask yourself is why
Trust me on this: it isn't. I have checked and re-checked a dozen times, both in the shell and in Nautilus. Even clicking on the binary in Nautilus gives no response, although that should launch the program. Nothing that has been done on the user side has differed in the least from what I did on my old Fedora install, and Foldit worked fine there. I can 100% guarantee that I am not mistyping anything. I can cd to the directory containing the binary, 'ls' to view it, and copy-paste its name after './' on the next line of the shell and get the error "file or directory not found." There is something legitimately screwed up on this system, and it is not PEBKAC.

Certainly tab-completion in Bash would not be filling in typos for me anyways.

I followed the instructions for installing Mathematica Player. It reported a successful completion of the installation process, and both the shell and Nautilus display all of its files stored in their correct locations. Mathematica Player also created a menu entry on installation. Clicking it does nothing. Copying the command listed in that menu entry's "properties" gives the same error: "file or directory not found." Now, perhaps Wolfram simply has no idea where they put their own binary when they packaged the program, but that would not explain the other binary failing to start.
sgosnell wrote:Linux binaries, by convention, are always lower-case only, so there will be no binary named Foldit,
Third-party software vendors don't always follow convention. The binary is named Foldit. No extension in the name, and it is not a subdirectory.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

First, I would untar/unzip those applications into a directory owned by you, for example your home directory.

Then you can either, run the programs by double clicking on them from within your file manager,
or if you really want to use the terminal then run them using the method described below.

For example, to run Foldit you would navigate to the Foldit directory and enter this command

./Foldit
Hope this helps.

mick
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Is the file marked as executable?
spencer

Post by spencer »

@sgosnell: As stated before, I have checked the permissions and they are marked as executable. If that were the problem, the error would be "Permission denied" rather than "No such file or directory."
mick55 wrote:First, I would untar/unzip those applications into a directory owned by you, for example your home directory.

Then you can either, run the programs by double clicking on them from within your file manager,
or if you really want to use the terminal then run them using the method described below.

For example, to run Foldit you would navigate to the Foldit directory and enter this command

./Foldit
Hope this helps.

mick
That is what I did to begin with. What you described is the correct procedure and should work. It does not.
spencer

Post by spencer »

The same problem occurs with the XPP-Aut binaries from http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/xpp/xpp.html. Definitely marked as executable, definitely in a directory I own, I am definitely using the correct directory paths and all the correct syntax.

This is three separate binaries that fail to run, and I have methodically gone through repeatedly and eliminated all possible sources of user error. I know the issue is not with the files themselves, as I have used them before on other Linux distros. What would cause a Linux Mint system to simply fail to execute these binaries?
spencer

Post by spencer »

Found the problem. It was a missing library that they all needed. Installed that and everything worked perfectly.
dicius

Post by dicius »

2 Spencer: I have the same problem as you had... I use 64-bit Mint 11... Can you please tell me more where was the problem and how can I fix it? Thanx... :)
nicklogan

Post by nicklogan »

Use your software manager to find and install libglut3 and it will start with "./Foldit" .
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please don't reply to support request older than 6 months (see the forum rules), but create a new support request. This topic was almost 2 years old :|

Locked.

Return to “Software & Applications”