Need Help with vsftpd/ssl

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monoXcide

Need Help with vsftpd/ssl

Post by monoXcide »

I'm having trouble getting vsftpd to work with SSL.

When trying to connect through FIleZilla, It times out on "Connection established, initializing TLS..."

I have gone into the Site Manager for FileZilla under File and changed the Server Type to FTPES - FTP over explicit SSL/TLS

I am connecting using ftps://myipaddress

Here are my changes to the vsftpd.conf (most of them come from here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=518293 ):

rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/vsftpd.pem
#
#SSL/TLS Configuration
ssl_enable=YES
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=YES
force_local_logins_ssl=YES
ssl_tlsv1=YES
ssl_sslv2=YES
ssl_sslv3=YES
#
# Filezilla uses port 21 if you don't set any port
# in Servertype "FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL"
# Port 990 is the default used for FTPS protocol.
# Uncomment it if you want/have to use port 990.
listen_port=990
#
# Show hidden files and the "." and ".." folders.
# Useful to not write over hidden files:
#force_dot_files=YES

# Hide the info about the owner (user and group) of the files.
#hide_ids=YES

# Connection limit for each IP:
#max_per_ip=2

# Maximum number of clients:
#max_clients=20
~
~
~

I do see it listening when running the netstat -tap command and I know that when I comment out all the SSL stuff I can connect.
I did notice that /etc/ssl/certs/vsftpd.pem was the normal black color like a text file and not the turquoise color of the other .pem files.
What I suspect is that I didn't create the .pem file correctly with openssl. Is this assumption correct and if so, how do I fix it? This is my first time dealing with certs/digital signing.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I know there is a snakeoil cert by default but I think I messed it up because it's not working either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monoXcide

Re: Need Help with vsftpd/ssl

Post by monoXcide »

The solution to this was apt-get purge vsftpd and use winscp instead. SSH is set up and ready to go, including encryption...just what I needed.

Return to “Software & Applications”