No Openoffice.org splash?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

No Openoffice.org splash?

Post by mfreeman »

I've fairly recently installed Mint 10 (upgraded from Mint 9) and I'm missing my Openoffice.org splash screen! Now, I know that many people don't like the Openoffice.org splash screen. I personally liked it, not because it was all that attractive, but because it gave me some visual feedback that the program was actually starting up. However, in Mint 10, the splash isn't there. So, when I double-click on a document from a folder (for example), there is no splash and no change in cursor to tell me that the program is actually starting up. So if it happens to be taking a while, I might decide it's not starting and try double-clicking on it again. But then two instances of the document come up. It's a little annoying.

Is there any way to get the splash screen back. I've looked in the preferences, but can't find an option for it. Any help would be appreciated! I really would like having that visual feedback again. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
filolog

Re: No Openoffice.org splash?

Post by filolog »

Hi,

I also wanted to see the OpenOffice splash. I found the below instructions and this worked fine in Mint 10:

Go edit the “sofficerc”-file

sudo gedit /etc/openoffice/sofficerc

Change the variable Logo to 1 (put 0 again there if you want to disable it)

[Bootstrap]
Logo=0

taken from:
http://www.kvaes.be/ubuntu/disabling-th ... -ubuntu/Go edit the “sofficerc”-file
leopoldbirkholm

Post by leopoldbirkholm »

filolog wrote:Hi,

I also wanted to see the OpenOffice splash. I found the below instructions and this worked fine in Mint 10:
[Bootstrap]
Logo=0
taken from:
http://www.kvaes.be/ubuntu/disabling-th ... -ubuntu/Go edit the “sofficerc”-file
Hello Filolog,
Thank you for this tutorial. It work without a hitch for me and now I see this so called splash screen when I open an document or calc-document.

Kind regards
Leopold B.
filolog

Post by filolog »

leopoldbirkholm wrote:
filolog wrote:Hi,

[Bootstrap]
Logo=0
taken from:
Hello Filolog,
Thank you for this tutorial. It work without a hitch for me and now I see this so called splash screen when I open an document or calc-document.

Kind regards
Leopold B.

Hi Leopold,

No worries. I'm glad I could help!
With regards to the splash screen, I did not like the default blue Openoffice splash, so I replaced the two pictures with some nice green ones that go especially well with the Mint theme.
(download from here: http://linuxmint-art.org/content/show.p ... ent=106456 )

The 2 pictures that are to be replaced are located in /usr/lib/openoffice/program
To copy over the new splash screen pictures, one needs to open nautilus as root. In terminal type:
sudo nautilus
(and then password)
Then, one needs to copy the new splash screens into that folder, making sure the names of the new pictures are exactly the same as the names of the default ones (which can be backed up somewhere else).

Now, the splash screens look like this

and this

image hosting

Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”