Crashing issues: Related?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davedorm

Crashing issues: Related?

Post by davedorm »

I recently came back to the fold and installed Linux on my main machine. Dual AMD 7750's, 4GB RAM, nVidia GTX260, twin 20" monitors. I started with 64 bit Ubuntu Maverick and had issues and reinstalled with Linux Mint Juila.

I have three applications crashing and I can not find out why. Skype 2.1 and VirtualBox are the two critical apps that I need to work. The third one, a Second Life viewer called Radegast, is compiled for Mono, so I thought there may be some correlation among the three.

It looks to be a Gtk error or a bad ELF CLASS error on all three, but they crash so quickly that even running from a terminal, cannot be 100& sure. The initial screen comes up for a second or two then the X session crashes, restarting the server, and returning me to the login screen.

I am not a n00b, been dabbling with Linux since Red Hat 5 (that's 1996!) and tried them all, even Gentoo, in my experimental play. I am not to guru or sysadmin levels, and tend to lose my knowledge over the years, forgetting where log files are and how to troubleshoot. I am simply at my wits end and the Windows installation disks are now at arm's reach instead of locked safely behind glass. I became a devout Debianista until my most recent "fall from grace" where I went back to Windows. Speed of installation and the promise of shiny things prompted me to go with Ubuntu, but I am now lamenting not doing it the "hard way" and going with Debian 5.

ANY help is appreciated. Friends don't let friends run Windows, not even Seven!

</dave>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: Crashing issues: Related?

Post by ArcherSeven »

Can you run the command "inxi -F" in terminal and paste the output here? Will help determine the cause.

Return to “Software & Applications”