How To Remove a Kernel

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

How To Remove a Kernel

Post by willie42 »

I borked my system up the other night and I have 2 Kernels. I am running linux mint 10 Julia. I kernel works and 1 does not. would like to remove the one that does not work.....can someone guide me on how I can do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
mick55

Re: How To Remove a Kernel

Post by mick55 »

Just search Synaptic for "linux-image-2.6" and "linux-headers-2.6" and remove the offending one. :wink:

When you remove the kernel via Synaptic Package Manager, Grub2 is automatically
updated to reflect the changes.You will regain about 200mb of disk space.

mick
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

well you see I have a small issue I have 2 that show up in grub and only 1 that is installed. the one that is borked is one that is not marked in the package manager would it be wise to mark the one thats not marked and un mark that one that is? updating grub did not remove the extra

soooo what would you do if you were me?
dont want to hose my system all up at least tonight :twisted:
mick55

Post by mick55 »

willie42 wrote:well you see I have a small issue I have 2 that show up in grub and only 1 that is installed
That does not make sense. :lol:

willie42 wrote:the one that is borked is one that is not marked in the package manager would it be wise to mark the one thats not marked and un mark that one that is?
No.

Try installing the kernel again.

More details are needed. How did you bork the kernel?

Were you doing a manual kernel upgrade? I don't quite understand whatt you did. :?

mick
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I have a seperate home partition and and the other night I did something that hosed stuff up like we all do time to time and I didnt format my root partition :shock: . So now I have 2 kernels 1 works and one dont :roll: . the first one I can try to boot to it but has not function ability. no mouse keyboard so I cant log in or anything. The second one works just fine which is the one I am using now. I have a good backup just incase but I have to work so dont want to do a rebuild of my system till I am off. But if I have too I can. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”