Nautilus trash and delete disabled (in sudo mode)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
albertgonzo

Nautilus trash and delete disabled (in sudo mode)

Post by albertgonzo »

Hello I'm fairly new to linux so bear with me;
There are some strange files in my /proc directory so I try to read these folders with gedit and I get a "dont have permissions to view" type deal, so I get on the terminal window and type in "gksudo nautilus" OK so it opens up nautilus in "root" mode and I try again to view files and folders in /proc and at that instance I had both Trash and Delete, I tried to view and get error message "error reading from file" or "unknown charset" so I went ahead to delete suspicious file and it wont says I cant.....then after that it took away my delete and trash and few other buttons ( I sent a few screen shots ) ohh does /proc really come like that ? with all those folders with locks on them...I just installed linux mint 3 hours ago...
Please help I want to be in charge of my computer but so far just been getting error messages and this version of mint doesnt want to download and install "clamav"
so if someone can tell me what to do I would apreciate it
sincerely albertgonzo :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Nautilus trash and delete disabled (in sudo mode)

Post by willie42 »

Looks like a permissions issue. I would try to create me a new user and make him administrator and then see if that changes things. looks like its something in permissions that you name has. In LMDE my main user that I first set up has custom settings. Administrator should be able to open these files and view them. you can access these by going to Menu>control center> users and groups.

hope this helps
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
albertgonzo

Post by albertgonzo »

Im gradually losing control over my computer linux is "infected" I believe !! ,while I was setting up some basic security items linux turned my keyboard to a diffrent language so that I couldnt take root priveleges away or reduce priveleges theres to many ,When running clamscan screen darkens scan stalls and resumes ..repeatedly
I have no trash or delete enabled keys in any file browser "gksudo nautilus" is still denied permission to rename remove delete or change suspect files..even while console was running root and I still used sudo command to invoke the commands I wanted carried out.
certain package files such as "aide" are not installed correctly or not enabled ,denied permission to even look at /var/log files to see and check problems
screen shots enclosed
dont know whats going on ? Im following suggested guidelines, such as reading documents and configuring security and updates...what am I doing wrong
on another point I will create new user as admin and see as suggested above if that fixes something
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Just looks like a permissions thing to me.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “Software & Applications”