installing firefox 3.6 manually

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boarder428

installing firefox 3.6 manually

Post by boarder428 »

I have a computer that refuses to run any version newer than Gloria, I know Gloria is unsupported but I'm stuck with it on this specific pc. I am trying to upgrade firefox to the newest version but cannot seem to get it done. I have tried many different ways found all over the web including downloading from firefox and cannot seem to get it done was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions?

added the following ppa's
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla ... ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla ... ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

tried install per instructions on Firefox website:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Ins ... owser=fx35
got the following:

Code: Select all

corey@corey-laptop ~ $ ~/firefox/firefox
/home/corey/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: installing firefox 3.6 manually

Post by unexistance »

Hi,
I have a computer that refuses to run any version newer than Gloria
You mean any newer version cannot even boot to the LiveCD?

Anyway, you can try to look for third-party firefox PPA; OR download a binary version from mozilla

Regards,
boarder428

Post by boarder428 »

unexistance wrote:Hi,
I have a computer that refuses to run any version newer than Gloria
You mean any newer version cannot even boot to the Live CD
no I can boot, for some odd reason I loose my usb ports. I don't understand it, must be a hardware issue. I've tried mint 8, 9, 10, LMDE, Fedora, Ubuntu, PC Linux, all with the exact same problem but install Gloria and the pc runs flawlessly. Had this problem for over a year with this notebook, I try every new release and always have to return to Gloria (or Jaunty) Weird, Wild stuff!!! I have to live by the "If it aint broke don't fix it!" clause! Although it leaves me having to figure out how to install newer software on an older os problem!
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Sounds like a kernel issue. Try adding the Julia repositories to your software sources, then update ONLY firefox, then disable the Julia repositories. That should let you get Firefox 3.6. If you do a complete update with the latest repositories enabled, you'll get a new kernel, and might lose (not loose, loose means "not tight") your USB ports again. It's not fatal, though, since you can still boot to the older kernel, it won't be removed.
boarder428

Post by boarder428 »

sgosnell wrote:Sounds like a kernel issue. Try adding the Julia repositories to your software sources, then update ONLY firefox, then disable the Julia repositories. That should let you get Firefox 3.6. If you do a complete update with the latest repositories enabled, you'll get a new kernel, and might lose (not loose, loose means "not tight") your USB ports again. It's not fatal, though, since you can still boot to the older kernel, it won't be removed.
Not sure how to go about doing so!?

Return to “Software & Applications”