[SOLVED] Can't enable executable bit?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leafblower29

[SOLVED] Can't enable executable bit?

Post by Leafblower29 »

I can't launch Windows programs with wine because it won't let check the executable bit in the properties. How do I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: Can't enable executable bit?

Post by sgosnell »

D.o it as root. Or move the file to your home folder, where you own everything.
Leafblower29

Post by Leafblower29 »

I tried doing it as root, didn't work, but I'll try moving it if I can.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Once you move it to your home folder then Right click on the .exe and make it executable. Thats how to make it work in wine....
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Leafblower29

Post by Leafblower29 »

The program worked in my home folder, and all folders in it, but not on my Windows drive, or any of my flash drives. Is there any hope of being able to do it without having to move the program?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

The only way I have ever been able to get it to work is in the home folder. I would think the reason for that is the home folder holds all of you configuration files. Thats just me thinking again. :shock: :D
Leafblower29

Post by Leafblower29 »

What exactly did they change? I've been able to set executable bit on other drives before.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well this is just a thought someone could shed more light if I am wrong but when you run an executable files there are programs that go with that. The kernel directs all configuration files to the home directory. I am just guessing that from a Drive or partition that is not the home directory then then kernel has not place for the configuration files to go beings it sees there is no home for it and wont run. That is the best I can do.....Maybe someone can shed more light on it and we both can learn something :D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I probably shouldn't be posing in this topic since it's been so long since I've used wine that I'm surprised I remember how to spell it.

First, there has been a change to how Ubuntu / Mint automounts an ntfs / fat32 partition on the fly. It used to mount with all folders and files set at 0700 meaning everything was executable. Now it mounts with folders at 0700 and files at 0600 - the 0600 means the execute bit has been turned off.

Second, as I recall wine never needed the execute bit to be turned on in the first place so I would like you to try something:

Open Nautilus and right click an *.exe file. Then select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > Then type in wine.

EDIT: forgot something. While you're in the "custom command" section after you select Add you need to mark wine as the default.

After that then you should be able to double click any exe file and have it open with wine.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Leafblower29

Post by Leafblower29 »

altair4 wrote:I probably shouldn't be posing in this topic since it's been so long since I've used wine that I'm surprised I remember how to spell it.

First, there has been a change to how Ubuntu / Mint automounts an ntfs / fat32 partition on the fly. It used to mount with all folders and files set at 0700 meaning everything was executable. Now it mounts with folders at 0700 and files at 0600 - the 0600 means the execute bit has been turned off.

Second, as I recall wine never needed the execute bit to be turned on in the first place so I would like you to try something:

Open Nautilus and right click an *.exe file. Then select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > Then type in wine.

EDIT: forgot something. While you're in the "custom command" section after you select Add you need to mark wine as the default.
After that then you should be able to double click any exe file and have it open with wine.
I already have them associated with wine and it requires the execute bit.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I already have them associated with wine and it requires the execute bit.
Actually there's a difference in the default wine association and the one I suggested.

You can verify this by going to /usr/share/applications/wine, right click and selecting properties. In the Command you will see at the very beginning something called "cautious-launcher".

If you go to /usr/bin/cautious-laucher and open it you will see that it's a script that actually checks to see if the file is executable:
programs cannot be executed when they lack the execute bit.
# https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Po ... 20Required
My method eliminates the cautious-launcher. Here's another way to verify all this. Open a Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

wine "/path/to/whatever.exe"
They also impose this on a java jar file even though a jar file is not an executable entity - it's an archive.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

There is a difference between installer packages and normal runtime .exe files, IME. Wine will run installer packages from anywhere, but it likes the installed .exe files to be in /home/user/.wine/drive_c, somewhere. The associated .dll files have to be in the proper places, too, or the .exe won't find them. It can be a little tricky. I don't use wine for much, mostly just for experimenting to see what happens, so I'm certainly no expert. It does seem that the latest wine version is slightly different in action from the older ones.
Leafblower29

Post by Leafblower29 »

altair4 wrote:Actually there's a difference in the default wine association and the one I suggested.
Ohhhhhhh ok! Well I tried what you said in your previous post and now I don't get the message and the programs run fine.
Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”