How to change default file manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beli0135

How to change default file manager?

Post by beli0135 »

Hi

Using Julia. I dont like Gnome, never did, probably never will, but I am forced to use it (downloading and installing KDE4 works 98%, but those 2% that doesnt work annoys me).

How to change default file manager to Dolphin, instead of nautilus?
Also, I'd like Gwenview to handle my images.
I have both of them installed, but I dont know where to change default settings.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to change default file manager?

Post by remoulder »

You can't easily change the file manager, nautilus is part of the Gnome desktop and can't be removed besides which dolphin and konqueror are KDE apps and don't fully integrate with the Gnome DE. You can can 'fool' the system to some extent by changing the file manager shortcuts in /usr/share/applications, see http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showt ... 156&page=2 for a discussion.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Then both KDE and GNOME solution looks like Microsoft's.

Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You should understand that KDE and Gnome are designed to be complete desktop environments, and in this respect then yes they are like a Windows or a Mac desktop. When you install a distro such as mint the developers have built it as a complete system to meet the needs of the vast majority of potential users and as such have to make various decisions about component choice though some are dictated by inter-dependencies. Mint gives you a choice of various desktops but if you are unhappy with any of them, then maybe a distro such as mint is not the right choice for you. Linux gives you the ability, unlike Microsoft, to mix and match components and build your own OS. Distro's such as Arch Linux allow you to do this or you could do it from scratch, but you are then on your own to a much greater extent.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Yap, I know that.
Mint is my 2nd choice. I have used KDE edition till now. Only reason why it is on is because:
1. OpenSUSE 11.3 is old, and there are 3 months more to 11.4
2. Mint KDE is still at v9
3. Need freshest distro due to top-notch hardware (drivers, broadcom is a pain till 2.6.37 doesnt get default)

But since I got packed in system to work properly, I will swallow Gnome taste for now.

Return to “Software & Applications”