make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it

Post by leo5111 »

is there a way to make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it? it wants to be on the screen when its running
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minime1

Re: make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it

Post by Minime1 »

leo5111 wrote:is there a way to make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it? it wants to be on the screen when its running
Hi leo5111,

I am new to Mint and linux in general and don't have much of an advice to offer here, however i have recently installed Mint Julia x64 and then XBMC 10 on top it using a good tutorial on the forums here:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67416. I had initially tried XBMC Live CD and it failed to detect My ATI graphics card drivers where as Mint found it and installed it effortlessly along with all the codecs and gave me full HD sound and video.I was then able to make XBMC auto start by going to the MintMenu, Sound & Video, right clicking on XBMC and selecting: "launch when i log in". That way i had XBMC launch automatically when i log in in full screen and all running fine. My problem is inability to "Exit" XBMC. I am able to shut down the pc completely from the XBMC menu at bottom left and Shut down, just never able to exit, the screen dims for 2 seconds then comes back on. I am not able to minimize it either to get back to Mint desktop and that has been really annoying me ever since. I have tried a few XBMC keyboard shortcuts like("\" Backslash) but not been successful so far and i am hoping that someone will be able to help me with this.

Currently i am dual booting Win 7 media centre and Mint 10 and the only thing holding me back from wiping off Win 7 is this problem described above. I have searched both here and elsewhere on the net and still not finding a solution.
Minime1

Re: make XBMC autostart and be able to minimise it

Post by Minime1 »

OK I made some progress and i think i figured out the solution to both of my problems described above:

1) Minimising XBMC:
Pressing "\" Backslash once gets XBMC into windowed mode and gives you the "Minimize,Maximize & Close" buttons at the top. And this time it worked for me not sure why and i was able to click any of the above.

2)Shutdown XBMC through its own menu in full screen:
In XBMC, Went to settings, System, Power saving and changed the "Shutdown function" from shutdown -> Quit and this way now i am able to Quit XBMC using either the remote or mouse from the Menu and get back to Mint desktop. Not sure why nothing happens when "Shutdown function" is set to Shutdown. But this does solve my problem. Hope it helps.

Return to “Software & Applications”