SOLVED Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Post by Roken »

I know that there was a known problem getting skype going on LMDE 64 bit, and I wondered if any progress (or workarounds) had been found yet. My fiance is 2,500 miles away, aMSN doesn't support video calls, and skype is my last hope before I'm forced to return to Windows.

And I finally got my webcam and mic working together today, too :(

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
beefstu

Re: Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Post by beefstu »

Take a look http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=102268

Should explain it, if it works for Debian, I cant see why it wouldn't work for LMDE
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED Re: Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Post by Roken »

Thank you. It solved my problem, but not quite as you would expect.

Like the OP on the link I had tried varied methods (installing 32 bit libs etc) and nothing worked. ia32 libs were already installed here, but I was getting the same error message.

I got it working by uninstalling ia32-libs-gtk, noting what else would be installed as a consequence (in my case only two packages) and installing skype from synaptic at the same time. I immediately re-installed ia32-libs-gtk and the other packages, and now all is good.

Thanks once again.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Angel_Caido

Re: SOLVED Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Post by Angel_Caido »

Oddly enough. My skype wasn't working, it gave me this message when tried loading it from the terminal:

Code: Select all

skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked this post and went to Synaptic decided to remove the package ia32-libs-gtk but mine was not installed, so I installed and now skype is working good.
Thanks for the tip.
enedene

Re: SOLVED Any news on Skype and LMDE x64

Post by enedene »

You could also try the ubuntu x64 bit edition.

Return to “Software & Applications”