LM was working fine now crashes every program! Please Help.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
domskidan

LM was working fine now crashes every program! Please Help.

Post by domskidan »

Hello All,

I installed Linux Mint 10 on my machine two weeks ago. I absolutely loved it, it was the OS I had always dreamed about. I was able to customize and run everything I ever wanted or felt a need for. Everything was absolutely perfect until yesterday. Last night I installed Blender, a few other 3d rendering apps and Mint system updates on to my machine. Everything was fine at first. I spent the next 2 hours doing a tutorial on Blender via YouTube and ran the application for about an hour and a half. I started to get tired so I opened up pidgin to talk to a friend before I went to bed. That is when all hell broke loose. Pidgin faded grey when I tried to connect to Google talk in which I was having issues with earlier. I then realized the program had crashed. I tried to force quit the program and went to the bathroom while it was trying to get everything straightened out.

When I came back my screen except for the menu bar was all black. I could not click anything so I forced a reboot and I got a disk failure error at start up. Start up said to put the Linux Mint system disk in and press enter. I did that and it ran some command lines then the screen went to black. Nothing happened after that it just stayed on a black screen. I restarted again with the CD still in the drive. Startup did the same thing it booted with the Linux Mint CD, ran a few lines of command and went to a black screen. I took the CD out again and tried to restart thinking that the CD might of repaired something with the boot loader.

I restarted and I got the disk failure error again! I was prompted to put the CD in. Finally tired and feed up I turned the computer off for about 15 minutes so I could gather my thoughts. I then turned the machine back on and Linux Mint finally loaded up! I got to the login screen but it was running extremely slow. I attempted to login and but it froze up. It would not even take me to my desktop. I eventually restarted the machine again and it did not give me the disk error. Instead start up just loaded all the hardware drives then just kind of froze. I was getting angry and tired so I went to bed and decided to come to it this morning.

This morning when I when I started my machine Linux Mint booted right up! It was not slow at all everything seemed to be back to normal. I had a sigh of relief thinking I was out of the woods. I spoke to soon because I attempted to load up Google Chrome to check my e-mail but then Google Chrome froze. I tried to run system check, which also froze. Any program I tried to run would just freeze! Even some of my basic utilities would not work. I tried to log out of my desktop so I could try and login with safe mode. It would not even let me log out of my desktop.

I forced restart and start up loaded up all the basic hardware drivers then froze again without even giving me the disk error. I am almost out of answers at this point I have no idea what the problem is. The only thing I can think of is some how my fairly new barracuda SATA drive got corrupted. My computer has very recently started to make a very light clicking sound. I have installed lots of modifications graphically to my desktop. If this would cause my machine to over heating maybe that’s why when I wait 15 minutes for it to partially work??? I also tried to Google it and I came across a blog about a guy who had a similar problem with programs crashing. He claims it was due to a bad system update. Right now I am scratching my head. I hope someone here has an idea because I am stumped on this one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM was working fine now crashes every program! Please He

Post by rivenathos »

My computer has very recently started to make a very light clicking sound. I have installed lots of modifications graphically to my desktop. If this would cause my machine to over heating maybe that’s why when I wait 15 minutes for it to partially work??
Ask yourself a couple of questions... Was my system running just fine before I started adding lots of modifications? Did my hardware start making clicking noises immediately before everything went wonky? Do I have enough ventilation and heat dissipation around my video card and hard drive?

You have either one or a combination of factors to troubleshoot through. In my opinion, it appears that Mint is at the mercy of hardware issues beyond its control. Is there any way for you to roll back the graphical modifications to something more like its original defaults? Even though you may have a new hard drive, I have seen them fail within a few days or even hours. You may have a bad drive, or one that just needs a reformatting and reinstall of Mint.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
vortex59
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM was working fine now crashes every program! Please He

Post by vortex59 »

No information about computer (RAM, HDD, processor). It is possible to have an overloaded system and if the temperature rises too much the system may crash in order to protect the hardware.
"A scientist is someone whose curiosity survives education's assaults on it". Sir Hermann Bondi

Return to “Software & Applications”