Wine problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slorgulp

Wine problems

Post by Slorgulp »

I just installed Mint Gnome. I have also installed Wine which I use for my Adobe Photoshop. When I try to install Photoshop I get the message: BLOCKED, wine start / Unix. the file / media / Photoshop / CS / autoplay.exe is not marked as executable. What the heck is that? I ran without problems on KDE system! Why install Wine if you can not use it? Is there a way to get Photoshop to run?
Sincerely and Cheers! :P
Steen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Wine problems

Post by kc1di »

Hi the problem is a know bug in Ubuntu with wine 1.0 try installing wine 1.2 see it that will fix the problem.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

Solution -
Right-click on the exe file, click Properties
Click the Permissions tab and click the box beside 'Allow executing file as program'
then try it open it again with wine and it should work.
(When im installing or running a exe from a dvd/cd, i navigate to Wine in the menu, then click 'Unistall Wine software' then i click the 'Install' button then navigate to the exe file that is on the cd/dvd. i think by doing it this way it stops that warning from showing)

I dont think installing a newer verison of wine solves this problem, i dont think its a bug, i think its to stop exe files(malware) from automatically being opened by wine when the CD is inserted. the same thing sometimes happens when running a exe file that has been downloaded from the internet.

BTW Steen, i suggest spending a couple of mins searching on this forum before posting as this issue has been posted mulitple times before. Hope this solution works for you.
vortex59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vortex59 »

Had the same problem but I make a copy on HDD of the installation of windows program, and in this copy I allowed the EXE file to run (the method described by cra1g321). On CD or DVD I get the message "write protected the exe file" so I was unable to make the file really executable.
"A scientist is someone whose curiosity survives education's assaults on it". Sir Hermann Bondi
Jix

Post by Jix »

I get this problem when I try to install programs from CD. Like vortex59 said, I make an ISO (unpack it with RAR) then run the exe from HDD.
Slorgulp

Post by Slorgulp »

Thanks for the replies. I will experiment with the solutions that have been proposed. I still believe that it is problematic that Ubuntu keep me from doing what I want, it's not the way Linux should be, I mean, it's not Vista!. Otherwise I think that Mint is a very beautiful and elegant OS - and quickly!

Steen
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

If none of those solutions work for you try playonLinux. it might do what you need it to do.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Slorgulp

Post by Slorgulp »

This solved the problem, I'm now running my (expensive) Photoshop :D . By the way, it will be interesting to see the new Gimp 2.8, it should become more people-friendly. Thanks for your help.
Steen

Return to “Software & Applications”