Application for Converting My DVD's to avi.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris_debian

Application for Converting My DVD's to avi.

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, all!

I need to rip a couple of DVD's so I can watch them on my portable media player.

Does anyone know an application that will convert the DVD format to avi?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chris_debian

Re: Application for Converting My DVD's to avi.

Post by chris_debian »

Thanks, Elisa; I'll have a look. I should have said that I run LMDE, but expect any Ubuntu software to be available in the larger Debian repo.

Cheers,

Chris.
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

Usual recommendations are handbrake or winff, both are in the repos.
but: handbrake have dropped the avi container in preference to MP4 and MKV
and just tried WinFF and it looks like it is broken, might just be my lm9 64 bit machine. Both are worth a try.

There is another in the repo 'arista' but it is gnome so maybe no good for you. Just gave it a try and it trashed my test mpg video file.

So, maybe back to basics and Avidemux.

You will need to do a bit of homework and find out what format your video player wants.
example: I have a cheap mp3/mp4 player but it is picky as to video format.
obviously it uses a small frame size (320 x 240) but also frame rate and codec, needs 20 fps and XVid (divx) and then there is audio mp3 & 44100 Hz.
All very different from a DVD.

As well as avidemux make sure you have libdvdcss2 & libdvdread4 installed for decoding a dvd.

For avidemux
if you open a file go to the video_ts folder: then go to the fist vob of the stream vts_01_1.vob: then avidemux will ask to index and include the rest of the vob files.

settings to consider,
the video out format - probably xvid
frame rate - try not to change from existing but maybe necessary
the aspect ratio of the video. - if the dvd is 16:9 (widescreen) and your player is 4:3, hard encode borders to compensate.
final frame size - depends on your player.
audio - dvd will be ac3/48000 Hz and your player will need mp3/44100.

a screen shot of the settings here:
http://www.imageno.com/0aaa95n94sc2pic.html

apologies, there is a lot included in that graphic.

still not guaranteed, common problem is video/audio sync, all you can do is give it a try and see.

best of luck
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Cheers, guys! I installed dvdrip from the repos and that is currently converting a DVD. Will let you know whether it works.

Chris.

Return to “Software & Applications”