How can I install local deb packages?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

How can I install local deb packages?

Post by Dr.U »

Since I only have a quite slow internet connection, I went to a local internet cafe and spent a couple of euros to download about 230 MB of ubuntu packages onto my usb memory stick.

So, now what? Synaptic and apt-get seem (as far as I can tell) to only check the internet or my installation CD for packages. Can some one please give me a tip or how-to about how I should proceed? Also provide any warnings that I might need to avoid damage to the system (for example, I downloaded a new version of xserver-xorg-core and don't want to risk ruining my system).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

To install a single package, double click on it.. or in a Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i yourpackage.deb
To install more than.. place them in a folder...

cd folder; dpkg -i *
Now, of course.. the ideal solution would be to create a local repository containing all your packages and have your sources.list use that repository.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How can I install local deb packages?

Post by scorp123 »

Dr.U wrote:Since I only have a quite slow internet connection
Get a faster Internet connection! In Germany you have soooo much choice!
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

scorp123 wrote:
Dr.U wrote:Since I only have a quite slow internet connection
Get a faster Internet connection! In Germany you have soooo much choice!
Now, scorp! You need to read my messages with a little more attention. :wink: In the posts in the 'General Help' section with the topic title 'Virus, spy-ware, or harmless' I explained why I cannot currently get faster internet service where I live. But possible help is apparently on the way: our cable TV company is now expanding its internet offerings in my town -- I just hope that they offer better service than the Deutsche Telekom! The price is better and the speed will be excellent -- the only question is: when will it be finally available? :roll:

Regards,
-- Dr. U
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Local repository?

Post by Dr.U »

clem wrote:To install a single package, double click on it.. or in a Terminal:

sudo dpkg -i yourpackage.deb
To install more than.. place them in a folder...

cd folder; dpkg -i *
Now, of course.. the ideal solution would be to create a local repository containing all your packages and have your sources.list use that repository.

Clem
Thanks a million, clem!! If you find the time, I would be very interested in learning how to set up a local repository for synaptic to use. Do I start up an FTP demon or a web server and just point synaptic to my local server?

Regards,
-- Dr. U
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Dr.U wrote: I just hope that they offer better service than the Deutsche Telekom!
I fail to see why you keep mentioning Deutsche Telekomiker ... They are not the only possible ADSL provider as far as I know. You got Arcor, Alice, AOL, Strato, Lycos, 1&1, Tiscali ... you have so many to choose from.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Do I start up an FTP demon or a web server and just point synaptic to my local server?
Oh no :) The file:// protocol will do just great.

Read the tutorial here: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... to.en.html
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

scorp123 wrote:
Dr.U wrote: I just hope that they offer better service than the Deutsche Telekom!
I fail to see why you keep mentioning Deutsche Telekomiker ... They are not the only possible ADSL provider as far as I know. You got Arcor, Alice, AOL, Strato, Lycos, 1&1, Tiscali ... you have so many to choose from.
Yes and no. Why? Because almost all DSL providers require that you have a DSL line from the Deutsche Telekom -- over which they then provide you with internet service. You see, almost everyone rents the DSL line from the Deutsche Telekom. The Deutsche Telekom will of course also provide such service, if you wish.

My problem is that the Deutsche Telekom will not install a DSL line to our complex because it was built without copper lines (we have glass fiber lines). :shock: Arcor and a very few others have their own lines, but none of them cover our area. :x

Take my word: I have tried and tried and called every provider I could find -- all without success.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the solution!

Post by Dr.U »

clem wrote:
Do I start up an FTP demon or a web server and just point synaptic to my local server?
Oh no :) The file:// protocol will do just great.

Read the tutorial here: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... to.en.html
Thanks, clem!! :D I was hoping that using something as simple as the file:// protocol would work, but didn't know how to set things up. The tutorial will take care of that.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Dr.U wrote:My problem is that the Deutsche Telekom will not install a DSL line to our complex because it was built without copper lines (we have glass fiber lines). :shock: Arcor and a very few others have their own lines, but none of them cover our area. :x

Take my word: I have tried and tried and called every provider I could find -- all without success.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
They won't provide DSL over fiber there?

We're getting fiber FINALLY to residence's here in Seattle, but will take a long time to get where I'm at. Anyway those with fiber here get 30-50 Meg DSL connections while those with Copper like myself are at around 6 Meg.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

marcus0263 wrote:Anyway those with fiber here get 30-50 Meg DSL connections while those with Copper like myself are at around 6 Meg.
Oh man, here in Switzerland we can only dream about such speeds!! :evil: Both our monopolies are holding back. Swisscom is in total control of the phone lines, the last mile and therefore also controls all the ADSL connections. And Cablecom controls the TV cables and the (TV) cable network. You want to watch TV without having to bother with your own antenna? Welcome to Cablecom.

So the max. we can get from ADSL is 6 Mbit/s, and via TV cable it's 10 Mbit/s. I recently switched from 3.5 Mbit/s ADSL to 10 Mbit/s TV cable connection, and it's still too slow for my purposes. 50 Mbit/s ADSL .... wow. Awesome. :D
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

scorp123 wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:Anyway those with fiber here get 30-50 Meg DSL connections while those with Copper like myself are at around 6 Meg.
Oh man, here in Switzerland we can only dream about such speeds!! :evil: Both our monopolies are holding back. Swisscom is in total control of the phone lines, the last mile and therefore also controls all the ADSL connections. And Cablecom controls the TV cables and the (TV) cable network. You want to watch TV without having to bother with your own antenna? Welcome to Cablecom.

So the max. we can get from ADSL is 6 Mbit/s, and via TV cable it's 10 Mbit/s. I recently switched from 3.5 Mbit/s ADSL to 10 Mbit/s TV cable connection, and it's still too slow for my purposes. 50 Mbit/s ADSL .... wow. Awesome. :D
Yeah there's something to be said about competition yah know!

My little brother lives in Dallas and he's got a 50 Meg downstream and something like 20 upstream, all for about $60 USD month. I pay that for a 6 Meg Down and 1.5 upstream with a static IP.

But I'm patiently waiting for fiber to make it to were I'm at. I very highly dislike cable connectivity, it's just to dang sporadic and I don't like being on a "Party Line".
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dancer_69 »

Hello,
I've accidentally associate deb files to open with another app.
How can I reassociate them to open with the default installer??

EDIT:
Solved!
For some reason the gdebi app was uninstalled, I reinstalled it and now all are back to normal

Return to “Software & Applications”