Can i use X Chat on UKCB? [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Can i use X Chat on UKCB? [solved]

Post by daveinuk »

Hi folks,

does anyone know if it's possible to use X chat to connect to UK Chatterbox? And if so, where could I get instructions on how to do it? I've looked at the X chat help pages on their site and also found some details on the UKCB site but it seems to apply to mIRC for windows so I don't think the info's valid, did have a go at adding an account but I'm a bit of a newb with IRC so it was a fail lol :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can i use X Chat on UKCB?

Post by Oscar799 »

It certainly looks possible
I got this info from the UK Chatterbox site
How can I access the chat with a third-party IRC client such as mIRC?

The IRC server details for our chat are as follows:

server: irc.ukchatterbox.com
port: 7000

Please note that you must use a profile registered on our website to connect and you may be asked for your password when you log in. Your password can be sent by using the command: /PASS yourpasswordgoeshere
On XChat click on the XChat menu and choose "Network List" you need to add a new network,click "add" to create an entry called "new network" highlight this and click edit,you need to replace the text in there with irc.ukchatterbox.com/7000 and hit the enter key.Close the window and ukchatterbox should appear on your network list and you can connect to it from there.
If you have any trouble with it ask in #linuxmint-chat and someone in there will assist.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can i use X Chat on UKCB?

Post by daveinuk »

Thank You :)

That made so much more sense than what I'd read lol, I got connected after a bit of trouble logging in and then kept getting disconnected when I'd joined a channel and lots of messages about it reconnecting too fast? I've emailed the admin there to see if they have anything to tell me I might not have included - It is the first time I've used it for any other channel that a Linux one so it's all new to me!

Thanks for the pointers, really appreciated, I'm sure I'll get there in the end lol

Return to “Software & Applications”