How to please

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

How to please

Post by RavenStandsAlone »

How do I get my Adobe CS3 to install on Mint 10 64bit. And please explain it to me step by step as you would to a 2 year old. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
This is the InterWeb? Where's the beer? And gimme lime with that Corona...
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to please

Post by Roken »

See here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=6584

But it may or may not work
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

I thank you for the attempt but that just led to a page of gibberish to me. I know there are lines I can enter into a terminal window and there are lines I can add to the software sources that will make it work. I need instructions like: To drive a car you take this key, put it in the slot on that door, turn it to the right, take hold of the handle with your other hand and lift it towards you. Pull open the door and turn your back to the vehicle, sit back into the seat, swing legs in...... are you getting the picture? What you sent me to is "turn on the car and drive it." Can I get some baby steps explained to me here please? I know there are knowledgeable people here that can tell me to open a terminal window and paste the following: deb whatever whatever/ etc and it will work when I hit enter.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

If you don't get it :?
Maybe you should dual boot with Windows :idea:
What you want cannot be done here This is a help Forum,-People here will try to help you but you must also try to help yourself :)
Just try the link--If you run into a problem then ask about that :) Help is not one sided,Help the posters help you.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Sorry, but Adobe CS3 is a program made for Windows OS -- ONLY.
Adobe programs are not compatible nor usable within Linux.

There are no commands that you can type into the Terminal.
There are no repros/ppa that you can add to your sources.list

You get some degree of function from Adobe CS3 by running it with a Linux application called: Wine.
Someone else, has already given you that link.

Linux is not Windows!! Not to say that one is any better than the other ... only different.
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

I just read this yesterday .... Anyway

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/01/how-to-i ... buntu.html

OK,,
1. when u see commands, open a terminal (Start | Terminal) & copy paste the command inside
2. in terminal, your password are invisible

Please try first, not that hard :D if you really want to use PS, then the effort should be worth it..

Regards,
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

RavenStandsAlone wrote:How do I get my Adobe CS3 to install on Mint 10 64bit. And please explain it to me step by step as you would to a 2 year old. Thanks
To be honest (IMHO), with wording like that I won't even get into it, the OP is either lacking the linux experience to even undertake this endeavor, or, just another example of a user not wanting to actually follow other well written tutorials, and simply wants something to paste copy their way to simplicity
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

hemimaniac wrote:
RavenStandsAlone wrote:How do I get my Adobe CS3 to install on Mint 10 64bit. And please explain it to me step by step as you would to a 2 year old. Thanks
To be honest (IMHO), with wording like that I won't even get into it, the OP is either lacking the linux experience to even undertake this endeavor, or, just another example of a user not wanting to actually follow other well written tutorials, and simply wants something to paste copy their way to simplicity
You are just about on the money there. I am old, cranky and I like to spend a lot of time outdoors on a bicycle rather than sit here and read my way through a tutorial that I barely understand about half of. I would like to use Linux based programs as an alternative to Microsoft products due to my dislike of large, controlling corporations, not because I cannot afford them and want to use a free program. This machine I am on IS a dual boot system with Win7 Ultimate sharing a 500 gig HDD.

I know that, in time, I will either get it figured out or move on to actually "important" stuff like; I wonder if I am getting enough fiber today.

Y'all have a good weekend, ya hear?
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

First of all I'd ask you - do u have already bought "Adobe CS3" ??
If bought already, type what exact version u have...
If not bought yet - don't u rather try the Linux app - Gimp ?

I do strongly suggest Linux tools :wink:
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

RavenStandsAlone, what parts of CS3 do you use? Some of it probably can't be duplicated with Linux software, but certainly the .pdf creation/editing, and Photoshop functionality, can be had using Linux tools. If you really need the more obscure features of CS3, then I think the best thing to do is run it in Windows.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Really, if you have the intelligence needed to learn and use CS3 then there is no need to be asking questions here at all :roll:

The software is about £600 and then there's a thick instruction manual at about £50. Its usually used by professionals and needs either tuition as part of on the job training or you need to be very good at self teaching.

It clearly states whether its for MAC or PC and if you've had previous experience with it you'd know all this.

If you are interested in photo-shopping then I highly recommend GIMP as I've used it for running a daily image blog and found it far easier to self learn than I did using Adobe CS2. Still have a brand new book of instructions if you want.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all for your input.

Yes, I have the PC version and until I get much more fluent in Mint I will learn the GIMP for photos. I am not going to buy the current Mac version until I am or I'll just use PC version. I am not going to spend up towards 900 bucks for something that I will only be using part of. Can I get the equivalent Adobe Elements for Mac to run on Mint?
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

By the way, I only use my Mint 10 installation for my postings here.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

No, Mac software won't run on Linux.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Florida eh ?
I get it.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

sgosnell wrote:No, Mac software won't run on Linux.
Why is this? I thought that MacOS and Linux were both based on Unix.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Loosely based, yes, but not close enough. Linux and MacOS software cannot run on any other OS.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The consulting fee is 350.00/hr

I would need a wire transfer and the account number, then perhaps we could talk..

Quicker answer, use Virtualbox software to install an equivalent windows OS, then install Adobe CS3 (I assume you must be using the windows version), otherwise there is no point to it!
http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765847
jesica

Post by jesica »

On the Gimp website they have a awesome tutorial with help on how to edit almost everything

If you still have trouble youtube have great video's with help regarding Gimp

Gimp is for free and do the same thing that Adobe can do, and I mean everything

so give it a try,

even if you get Adobe to work, it is going to take some time and you arebound to get errors from time to time, even after updates

Return to “Software & Applications”