Skype & Logitech Cam with different execution command

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matthewflint

Skype & Logitech Cam with different execution command

Post by matthewflint »

Hello to all,

Please know that while using Linux Mint 10 Julia I am able to use my Logitech web cam with Cheese and amsn. Although, when using Skype (latest version in repositories) my web cam does not activate when trying to test it in the options section of Skype. The microphone works but no video shows.

I followed a suggested solution at the following direction:

http://www.ubunturoot.com/2010/05/how-t ... skype.html

The solution works perfect when I execute the command ( bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype' ) from the terminal. I tested with friends and they are able to see me and I am able to see my own video while using Skype.

My only problem is the following:

I would like to execute Skype with the suggested solution above using the command by going to System/Preferences/Main Menu/ Internet/Skype/Properties, and replace Skype with bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work. After setting this inside the men configuration of Skype I click on the icon and nothing happens.

Please let me know if I am overlooking something. I am happy that I can fix the camera problem by using the terminal but it would be much easier to make this permanent.

I thank all of you for your time, ideas, and suggestions. Have a great day or evening!

Thanks,

Matthew Justin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ian59

Re: Skype & Logitech Cam with different execution command

Post by ian59 »

If you have found the bash command works you could always turn it into a bash script, place it in /home/your user name/bin call it something easy to remember then just use terminal to start skype via your script.

I found this howto great; http://linuxcommand.org/wss0010.php#write
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hi ian59,

Your suggestion is much appreciated and works as outlined. Although, I would like to configure this execution command inside the menu configuration tool that Linux Mint offers. I followed the guide that you generously shared below and made an executable script and saved it inside a folder called 'bin' (home/username/bin). When simple typing the name of the script (in my case skype_logitech) it works perfectly. Now, I would like to know what I have to put inside the menu configuration area so that when I click the Skype icon which is located in my 'Favorites area' to work.

I imagine that I should select:

Terminal Application

And set the command as:

/home/username/bin/skype_logitech

Know that I have also tried setting the command to only:

skype_logitech

Nothing seems to make the script execute when using the mentioned commands above. I am sure that I am overlooking something that's obvious. Again, I thank all of you for your time, ideas, and suggestions.
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello to all,

Just a quick note to let all of you know that after regular maintenance software updates the suggested solution from ian59 is working flawlessly now. Not sure why, but I wanted everyone to have this feedback. I am so aware that you are volunteering and offering advice unconditionally. I thank all of you for this and feel that it's my responsibility to correspond thoroughly on my behalf. Have a wonderful day!

Matthew Justin
P.S. I've used many distros and I have to say that aesthetically; Linux Mint is a pleasure to work with on a daily basis!!

Return to “Software & Applications”