Run Wireshark without sudo?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tecknomage

Run Wireshark without sudo?

Post by tecknomage »

Running Mint 10

I've read you have to run Wireshark as root via sudo.

Is there a way to run Wireshark WITHOUT using sudo :?:
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Run Wireshark WITIOUT sudo?

Post by eiver »

You can run Wireshark without sudo and browse previously captured files... You need sudo however to capture packets.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Promiscuous mode for network devices in any OS, usually requires admin or root privileges, as the network device is considered a system service

An explanation for you on capture mode for wireshark..
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/ ... Privileges
tecknomage

Post by tecknomage »

DrHu wrote:Promiscuous mode for network devices in any OS, usually requires admin or root privileges, as the network device is considered a system service
This is the case. But I have to wonder why Wireshark does not run like Package Manager or Update Manager.

Launch Wireshark, admin logon dialog opens, enter your password, Wireshark opens :?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Oh I get it. Package Manager entry in the menu simply uses gksu to launch a program as root. Simply open your Mint menu, right click wireshark and edit properites. Then change the command from "wireshark" to "gksu wireshark".
tecknomage

Post by tecknomage »

eiver wrote:Oh I get it. Package Manager entry in the menu simply uses gksu to launch a program as root. Simply open your Mint menu, right click wireshark and edit properites. Then change the command from "wireshark" to "gksu wireshark".
GREAT, works :D

Thanks.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Run Wireshark without sudo?

Post by karlchen »

<mod> mfreeman's question from 2021 can be found here: Run Wireshark without sudo and without gksu? </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”