OpenOffice and other apps using 'Symbols' language, cant rea

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

OpenOffice and other apps using 'Symbols' language, cant rea

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I dont know what happened, but some but not all of my apps are using random symbols as a language and I am unable to read it. Updates didnt help. This is a problem with language. I forget which other app has the same problem.....ok VLC media player is another one.

Can I fix this problem without doing a clean install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pompom

Re: OpenOffice and other apps using 'Symbols' language, cant

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

If you have Open Office configured as a multi-lingual application, for example French and English, and you are not getting Cyrillic fonts or Greek fonts, that can be easily fixed. If your keymap files are corrupt, you are seeing squares and rectangles or wingding fonts, that also can be easily fixed by installing language packs. Did you accidentally change your Locale settings? First place to check would be 'locale -a' for available settings and 'locale' for options currently set. There is a third possibility, you may have been playing movies destined for another region, that is why VLC became affected. There are CD/DVD players that will switch from the factory default after 6 "infractions." Switching it back to factory settings may may take some doing. To avoid this muck up, some folks install a second player so that they can enjoy Brazilian Cinema on Kon-Tiki.

Cheers,

pompom
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Im not new.

Here are my results from locale -a

C
en_AG
en_AG.utf8
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_IN.utf8
en_NG
en_NG.utf8
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZW.utf8
POSIX

I am not getting Greek or any intelligible language. Its either corrupt or some kind of symbols language. I dont think this is something that would be done by region.

My dictionary is just fine in my web browser, its just certain apps like VLC and OpenOffice.

Just reinstall the language packages?
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Any suggestions? Nothing is working so far.

Return to “Software & Applications”