Epiphany or Galeon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Epiphany or Galeon?

Postby WinXpNewb on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Seeing as I'm not experienced with the possible pitfalls with using a browser on Virtualbox/Wine, I was wondering if anyone can refer to which browser is most similar to K-meleon? I read from some searches that Galeon/Epiphany is the equivalent of K-meleon in Linux but having tried both, I honestly don't see how.

The particular features I'm looking for are browser features out of the box and K-meleon's ability to manually add a page into session/layer without opening the entire session and resaving. Unfortunately I haven't found a Firefox extension that does this.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:37 pm

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/UKmeleon
There is a version of K-meleon for Linux in there
It's all more or less Mozilla browsers....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby WinXpNewb on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks. Reading from that version, it does seem very buggy (No groups = no layers) which made me avoid it in the first place and to be honest, even on Windows I tried to stay away from the K-meleon forks. K-meleon the main release has minor bugs and it's very technical to get to the nitty gritty of the browser. A skillset I currently don't possess.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Postby BlahBlah_X on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 pm

If you really wanted to, you could run K-Meleon with wine (although that would be silly considering the number of great browsers that are linux native, plus its not guaranteed to work).

Just go into Synaptic, search for wine, and install it. Then, download the installer/exe file for the Windows version, and right click on it and choose "open with wine" or in a terminal do "wine /directory/where/the/file/is"
Last edited by BlahBlah_X on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby carltonh on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm

or in a terminal do "sudo wine /directory/where/the/file/is"

I've read quite a few times NOT to use sudo with wine. Wine is a user application and running sudo with it can screw up permissions or such.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications