Any add-ons for Chromium, to keep from spying?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrOneEyedBoh

Any add-ons for Chromium, to keep from spying?

Post by MrOneEyedBoh »

I read a bit back that google spies etc on people that use chrome. Is there any add ons similar to the windows chrome for mint? I know I can use firefox, but chromium is smaller on the screen ( give me more web layout on my netbook ) and faster.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Any add-ons for Chromium, to keep from spying?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I don't have Chrome or Chromium installed on this system (using Epiphany as my backup browser) but I know there are extensions available for the Google products (many direct imports from Firefox). They are accessed via the wrench icon in the upper right. If there is no direct entry in the menu for Extensions, it will be in the Tools sub-menu.
MrOneEyedBoh

Post by MrOneEyedBoh »

how would i apply the extensions? or would they be available for DL under the wrench?

what browser do you use? Just epiphany?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

MrOneEyedBoh wrote:I read a bit back that google spies etc on people that use chrome. Is there any add ons similar to the windows chrome for mint?
Chromium may be the best option, if you need to use chrome type browser
http://code.google.com/chromium/

It is a Google product, and as such, even though there is an open source version (Chromium); will likely have that well known commercial aspect of measuring/sometimes monitoring more fully a user's use of the product, while browsing

I use Opera, and sometimes Firefox
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To add extensions to Chrome or Chromium, just click on the extension and click "Install". Its all automatic from that point.

I use a variant of Firefox called Swiftfox. It is optimized to run in Linux. Epiphany is only there so I can get on line if Swiftfox dies.
MrOneEyedBoh

Post by MrOneEyedBoh »

Interesting. Im going to try them out.. Why do you have issues with swift?
mint123

Post by mint123 »

If you're concerned about Google's ad tracking and ID tags, you may want to check out SRWare Iron. Of all the Chromium based browsers, It records nothing and has none of the identifiers with source code available on their site to verify (not that I'm able to read it).

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 2e6189777f
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

If you think some little add ons or a browser change is going to keep The Great Satan from obtaining your online activities you are only kidding yourself.
There is no such thing as " privacy" online. It's a great marketing idea. Nada mas.

Return to “Software & Applications”