Scribus - so much better than Microsoft Publisher

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JimShortz

Scribus - so much better than Microsoft Publisher

Post by JimShortz »

Since switching to Linux Mint I have been determined to run nothing under Wine and instead use what comes with Mint. DTP has been my biggest problem - I really missed MS Publisher!

For those of us embracing Open Source software Scribus is a fantastic DTP programme. Its downfall is that when you first open it up you look at the interface and probably decide it looks confusing and shut it again... This is a great shame as actually it's not too complicated at all and with minimal effort you will soon be right at home - and appreciating the power that Scribus offers.

In the school where I work MS Publisher has been seriously lamented by many teachers since we switched to Linux. To try and help them out I have created a series of video tutorials and put them up on our school Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment). I can't give you guys access to the Moodle, but I have also put these tutorials up on YouTube. This is a bit of a blatant plug for my screencasts, but I hope at least some of you will find them useful and become as a big a fan of Scribus as I am!

You can find them at http://www.youtube.com/user/HumpyCreatu ... end=8&ob=5

If you know of other good resources that you can point me too please go ahead; it would be much appreciated. There is not that much good stuff out there to help with learning Scribus. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lilmagnus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Scribus - so much better than Microsoft Publisher

Post by lilmagnus »

Though I do not use Scribus nor have much need for DTP, I watched Part 1 of your tutorials and found it very nice. Nice tone to your voice and steady, understandable speech. Keep up the good work! :D
A mint of creativity!

Return to “Software & Applications”