Bad performance when controlling remotely

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cel

Bad performance when controlling remotely

Post by cel »

Hi!

I've searched for this but haven't found anything. (If you know where I could though, don't hesitate to say so).

I'm using linuxmint 10 as a virtual server on an Esxi-host.
When I connect to the server via VNC to control it, the performance is really bad.
I'm using a gigabit-network through and through. I can't understand why it's that laggy, slow and sometimes hangs (have to reconnect)?

I've tried it on a physical computer too, but the problem seems to be with Vino or whatever vnc-server is integrated in Mint (ubuntu).

Is there an easily configurable VNC-server-replacement with a nice GUI that I can get instead or should I just give up?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leit

Re: Bad performance when controlling remotely

Post by Leit »

have you tried SSH -X?
I ain't know what you wanna do, cause SSH -x is only useful if you just want to use specific software, cause it brings you single GUI-programms from the host really fast.

if you want a full remote session you should read the following:
http://people.w3.org/~dom/archives/2005 ... -with-gdm/

greetings,

Leit
cel

Post by cel »

I'll check it out, thanks!

What I really want is to control my virtual Linux mint server without the massive lag and sluggishnes.
It would be nice if the solution worked out in a way that let me install a client on my girlfriends computer and
for her to be able to use it aswell.
This is the reason why I use vnc today, but the problem is the performance :/
Leit

Post by Leit »

if your girlfriend uses Linux too there should'nt be any problem.
cel

Post by cel »

Hehe, she doesnt... yet ;)

But I will have to install a viewer-client on her computer to use to control the server, for unpacking and such.
Leit

Post by Leit »

when i'm @ work again i'll post you a link, where you find a description how to use Linux remotely over SSH -X from a wintendo client ... but although i'm not @ work yet, so you'll have to wait xD...
Leit

Post by Leit »

http://www.biac.duke.edu/library/docume ... urity.html

there you should find a way to solve your windows problem...

Return to “Software & Applications”