vim - installation error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hilltop_yodeler

vim - installation error

Post by hilltop_yodeler »

Greetings,

I have recently installed the latest version of LMDE (201012/201101). Although I'm loving it so far, it seems a bit slower than the previous version, and I'm having troubles with installing vim, my favorite text editor.

When I try to install vim either using apt-get or synaptic, I encounter a failure. The error seems to be an issue with a dependency, vim-runtime. Here are the two errors that I receive:

Using apt-get:
vim is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vim : Depends: vim-runtime (= 2:7.3.035+hg~8fdc12103333-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Using Synaptic:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/vim-runtime_2%3a7.3.035+hg~8fdc12103333-1_all.deb: corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive

I tried the 'apt-get -f install' method without success. I tried directly installing vim-runtime, but still got an error:
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/vim-runtime_2%3a7.3.035+hg~8fdc12103333-1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Anyone else having this issue? Solutions? Suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: vim - installation error

Post by Habitual »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y vim --reinstall
may do the job.

or

sudo apt-get remove -y vim
then

sudo apt-get autoremove -y
sudo apt-get install -y vim
Please let us know...
hilltop_yodeler

Post by hilltop_yodeler »

@Habitual, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately neither of those two options worked. Now, when I try to install any other software, I still get the vim-runtime error. I might try changing my /etc/apt/sources.list file to pull from squeeze rather than debian testing and hope that this fixes things.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Yes sir.

Have you tried

sudo dpkg --configure -a
?

Return to “Software & Applications”