Good HD Screen Recorders and Video Editor for Mint 10?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheLinuxNoob

Good HD Screen Recorders and Video Editor for Mint 10?

Post by TheLinuxNoob »

Now I realize Linux Mint 10 is only in RC stage still so a large amount of the software doesn't work for it. However as the title states I am looking for a screen cap tool that can record in at least 720p HD. HD is pretty much the standard now a days so I wont settle for any less. Now obviously the compression and audio/video codecs need to be worked out to, so I need a good video editor. I was looking @ piviti video editor but if anyone can recommend any better it would be greatly appreciated. Anyway thanks for any help you guys can offer! (ps. I know about Kdenlive but I dont like the render times so thats a no go)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich2005

Re: Good HD Screen Recorders and Video Editor for Mint 10?

Post by rich2005 »

caveat - I use LM9 64bit.

First how do you define HD. Have a look at http://www.videohelp.com/hd hd comes in many sizes. Can 1080 fit on your monitor?

Next, is it really a desktop capture you want or is it capture a video that is playing on your computer. Not necessarily the same thing but could be.

Assuming it is a desktop capture you want, ffmpeg can capture video and if you want to edit the result, a command line is much, much, better than a front-end such as recordmydesktop. If you 'man ffmpeg', towards the end are preset capture sizes. hd480 = 852x720, hd720 = 1280x720, hd1080 = 1920x1080. Use one that works with your monitor.

I used this one for a test.

ffmpeg -f x11grab -xerror -r 23.976 -g 5 -s hd720 -i :0.0 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 10000 -qscale 5 -bt 256k -y -f alsa -i pulse -ar 44100 out.avi

and you get a terminal output like this. http://imgur.com/1twdf

If you don't get any result, first check the command, then give up.

Including sound can be a real problem, I always mux sound into a screen capture after editing, so its try and see if there are sync problems.

Editing, I don't like any of the linux video editors but have come to a grudging respect for avidemux (front end for ffmpeg) which will chop and join without re-rendering. A screen shot showing the video properties here http://imgur.com/yRf1C
Audio is again a problem, mono, so the audio settings will need tweaking. FFmpeg cuts at keyframes which can be a big problem with HD, 300 to 600 keyframe intervals not uncommon (Sony should be ashamed). The -g 5 in the command gets it down to around 20 - less than a second. Nowhere near frame accurate but probably acceptable.

For the test file, 1 minute comes out at 10 MB and if you need a smaller final result will convert, after editing, to mpeg-4 avc at about 3 MB per minute. Conversion time depends on processor (AMD 3 GHz quad core) was around 2x real time.

Return to “Software & Applications”