Hello, I have a question to ask you

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Hello, I have a question to ask you

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Alright here is my situation:
I and my husband are using Ubuntu linux as our distribution.
Now my husband has just switched over to linux after so many years under windows, currently he is dual booting Ubuntu Gutsy and windows XP and is getting used to the linux side of things.
To help his transition I gave him the linux mint menu as an alternative to the default desktop menu's offered by ubuntu.
I had to configure a few things of course (like taking the name "Daryna" out of it, directing the "software portal" button to the add/remove applet and et cetera)
but there is one thing that doesnt work:
the "quit" button
if he clicks it nothing happens, I know the default command to get it working is gnome-session-save --kill, but it doesnt seem to work)
I gave him the quit applet in his default panel but he wants a way to work it in the menu as well (he is just too used to the windows side of things so he needs the menu entry to work)
Now I would offer him Mint but it will just confuse him and shy him away from using linux (he has no clues about distros, the differences between them or anything"
I would also offer him the ubuntu system panel but it has not been developed in a while, except by you guys over here.
so there is my dilemma, I also have a topic like this over on the ubuntu forums but since I am using your menu I am also asking here too
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello, I have a question to ask you

Postby organica on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm

I'm getting the same problem here with the Daryna install. The quit button works about half the time. It won't work after I reload the plugins either.

I added the "Quit" panel applet too until this issue is resolved with the mint menu.
organica
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:11 pm

organica wrote:I'm getting the same problem here with the Daryna install. The quit button works about half the time. It won't work after I reload the plugins either.

I added the "Quit" panel applet too until this issue is resolved with the mint menu.

so this might involve the daryna version then.
I might see if a older version works then, see what happens and see if its more stable.
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kenetics on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:34 am

I have no trouble with the quit button in Mint Celena. I'm staying with this version for a while.
Btw, why not Mint? If you know Ubuntu you will surely get along well in Mint.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nick on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am

Hi

Is it connected to this problem?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6747&p=42927&hilit=dbus#p42927

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:58 pm

nick wrote:Hi

Is it connected to this problem?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6747&p=42927&hilit=dbus#p42927

Nick

could be, its a possibility. but I have the menu from celena running now just to see if there is something going on.

kenetics wrote:I have no trouble with the quit button in Mint Celena. I'm staying with this version for a while.
Btw, why not Mint? If you know Ubuntu you will surely get along well in Mint.

Well the issue is not me, it is my husband who has no clue on how linux really works or what is the difference is between distro 1 of linux and distro 2.
Really if I gave him mint it will throw him off pretty bad.
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications