Adobe Flash / JavaScript Isses (Youtube/iPlayer ect)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
therealdjcamm

Adobe Flash / JavaScript Isses (Youtube/iPlayer ect)

Post by therealdjcamm »

Hi,

Recently installed linux on a new netbook. Everything works fine except for the fact that online videos refuse to stream. The error messages tell me that i need to activate JavaScript or install the latest version of adobe flash player. Having fiddled around for quite a while i can confirm that JavaScript is enabled and the latest version of flash is installed (v10.2.152.27), however videos still refuse to play.

Looking at the synaptic package manager, there are plenty of other packages with JavaScript and adobe flash player in the description listed as uninstalled. Have i missed any important packages out because when i installed linux i then had to install all sorts of things manually like wireless drivers and USB drivers ect. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Adobe Flash / JavaScript Isses (Youtube/iPlayer ect)

Post by JasonLG »

therealdjcamm wrote:Hi,

Recently installed linux on a new netbook. Everything works fine except for the fact that online videos refuse to stream. The error messages tell me that i need to activate JavaScript or install the latest version of adobe flash player. Having fiddled around for quite a while i can confirm that JavaScript is enabled and the latest version of flash is installed (v10.2.152.27), however videos still refuse to play.

Looking at the synaptic package manager, there are plenty of other packages with JavaScript and adobe flash player in the description listed as uninstalled. Have i missed any important packages out because when i installed linux i then had to install all sorts of things manually like wireless drivers and USB drivers ect. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Dan
A couple a questions for you that might make helping you a little easier...
1. What version of Mint are you using?
2. What browser are you using?
3. What browser extensions are you using?
4. in Firefox or Chrome/Chromium(possibly other browser too?) if you enter about:plugins in to the address bar you'll end on a page that lists your browser plugins. Do you see Flash listed?
DORowell

Post by DORowell »

I'm having similar issues when using Chromium (and Chrome) browser but not Firefox.
running Isadora (10.04) on a Gateway 2800 [Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, Mint has 80 GB partition, built-in Intel 4500 graphics]

about:plugins tells me that I have: flash 10.0.45, IcedTea, iTunes Ap Detector and Default plugin

About:plugins also has the message that I need to d/l and install a critical security update - if I follow the link I get a brief note in the address bar about a redirect failure and I wind up at the same old Adobe " you have a problem and need to d/l an update window" Here is a link to the problem Adobe site http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

Looks like the problem is that Adobe isn't aware of Mint and the site refuses to d/l or install anything because Mint isn't on their good guy list! Choosing Ubuntu d/l's that should work are refused by Adobe.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

DORowell wrote:I'm having similar issues when using Chromium (and Chrome) browser but not Firefox.
running Isadora (10.04) on a Gateway 2800 [Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, Mint has 80 GB partition, built-in Intel 4500 graphics]

about:plugins tells me that I have: flash 10.0.45, IcedTea, iTunes Ap Detector and Default plugin

About:plugins also has the message that I need to d/l and install a critical security update - if I follow the link I get a brief note in the address bar about a redirect failure and I wind up at the same old Adobe " you have a problem and need to d/l an update window" Here is a link to the problem Adobe site http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

Looks like the problem is that Adobe isn't aware of Mint and the site refuses to d/l or install anything because Mint isn't on their good guy list! Choosing Ubuntu d/l's that should work are refused by Adobe.
Are you running the 32 or 64 bit version Mint?
DORowell

Post by DORowell »

I'm running 64 bit Mint Gnome
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Jason this is the second time in two days you've helped me out, thanks. The problem I had was a security issue with Flash that I noticed when I went to about:plugins. I had flash 10.0 r45 with a security warning next to the plugin. I couldn't play videos or use Google voice unless I clicked a button on the top of my browser window that read "use this one time".
The 64 bit version of flash is at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashpl ... quare.html in the middle of the page listed as "Download plug-in for 64-bit Linux (TAR.GZ, 4.1 MB)"
Close Chrome, then open (file system) "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64" as administrator. Copy the file in there "libflashplayer.so" to your desktop as a back up just in case then compress it. Delete the "libflashplayer.so" in the "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64" folder because you will replace it with a new one.
Open your TAR.GZ as administrator and extract it to /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64. Open Chrome and go to youtube to see if everything works. If everything is fine delete both TAR.GZ files, the one you downloaded and the one on your desktop.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Lostwithaclue wrote:Jason this is the second time in two days you've helped me out, thanks. The problem I had was a security issue with Flash that I noticed when I went to about:plugins. I had flash 10.0 r45 with a security warning next to the plugin. I couldn't play videos or use Google voice unless I clicked a button on the top of my browser window that read "use this one time".
The 64 bit version of flash is at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashpl ... quare.html in the middle of the page listed as "Download plug-in for 64-bit Linux (TAR.GZ, 4.1 MB)"
Close Chrome, then open (file system) "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64" as administrator. Copy the file in there "libflashplayer.so" to your desktop as a back up just in case then compress it. Delete the "libflashplayer.so" in the "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64" folder because you will replace it with a new one.
Open your TAR.GZ as administrator and extract it to /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64. Open Chrome and go to youtube to see if everything works. If everything is fine delete both TAR.GZ files, the one you downloaded and the one on your desktop.

Right on, glad to help. You can keep the 64 bit flash plugin up to date automatically with this ppa.
https://launchpad.net/~sevenmachines/+archive/flash

You might have to uninstall the mint flash plugin before you install the one from the ppa.

Return to “Software & Applications”