ArchimedesCAD...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

ArchimedesCAD...

Post by tenfoot »

Using LMDE

I have just installed ArchimedesCAD on my computer but when running it got the following error

Code: Select all

An error has occurred.  See the log file /home.zed/workspace/.metadata/log
Opening this logfile shows

Code: Select all

!SESSION 2011-03-11 15:10:22.594 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_24
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_NZ
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-03-11 15:10:23.932
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/zed/Archimedes - The Open CAD/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/60/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3236.so: /home/zed/Archimedes - The Open CAD/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/60/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3236.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1803)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1712)
	at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
	at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:22)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:126)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:436)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:161)
	at br.org.archimedes.gui.rca.Archimedes.run(Archimedes.java:16)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
which means absolutely nothing to me.

Any assistance would be greatly apreciated from amnyone who uses this program.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: ArchimedesCAD...

Post by vrkalak »

I have been using both Archimedes for Linux and QCad for my architectural drawings since first coming to Linux.

I installed Archimedes to my straight Debian 5.0 Lenny over 2 years ago . . . never had a problem with it.

I'd ask ... from where did you download the Archimedes program and How did you install it? When?

Looks like a problem with Java. Did you also, download/install the Java Virtual Machine program?

Maybe, a fresh re-install would work? Make sure all the Application dependencies are met.

Latest Archimedes download > http://www.archimedes.org.br/
New QCad > http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I searched Google for Archimedes and downloaded from Pillarsoft website and ended up with a file archimedes-full-installer-0.52.0.jar. Clicking on it led to a perfect install. Well, there were no errors displayed and the program installed to my Home directory. Clicking on the icon created led to the error I wrote about.

Reinstalling does not change the situation. I have the Java Runtime Environment installed.

I then downloaded the latest version, as you suggested but am "lost" :?

The download put a zip file on my desktop. Archimedes-0.64.2.Exporter-linux.gtk.x86.zip. Extracting this gives me a folder named Archimedes, within which are folders - about_files, configuration, features, plugins, workspace,about.html, Archimedes, icon.xpm,, and libcairo-swt.so .

The Properties of the folder Archimedes shows it is 51.3KB in size

Type: executable (application.x-executable)
Size: 51.3KB
Permissions:
Owner: zed (that is me)
Access: Read and write
Group: zed
Access: Read-only
Execute: Allow executing file as program is selected

I have tried clicking and double clicking on the Archimedes folder but nothing happens.

Please, what do I do now?

I do have Qcad installed and am slowly learning how to use it but decided to try Archimedes because it is targeted for architectural use. I must stress that I am not an architect or even over familiar with technical drawing but have a desire to learn the basics.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

When you download a third-party package, such as Archimedes you have to extract and install per these guidelines.

http://www.linuxdedicatedwarnet.com/How ... Linux.html
http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lx-swinstall.html
http://www.debiantutorials.org/install- ... -linux-244

I hope these help.

Since, you are not an architect, but are learning ... I'd go with QCAd or SagCad for gaining good experience.

SagCad is listed as the Linux Alternative to AutoCAD. AutoCAD is the only architectural program accepted by most professional Architects.
http://linuxappfinder.com/package/sagcad
http://sagcad.sourceforge.jp/

I am a Registered Architect. I have been using GNU/Linux and Open Source for years.
I even designed and built a building in Rotorua, NZ a few years back.

** both QCad and SagCad are available through the Synaotic Manager and are in the Ubuntu/Mint and Debian repositories.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Again, thank you for your prompt response.

Let me say, here, that it was as a result of reading your contributions to the Forum that I decided to download both QCad and Archimedes and I thank you for bringing them to my attention.. QCad certainly is a powerful program and I am slowly getting to know it. It was a breeze to install as it was in the repositries.

I am familiar with dealing with both .tar and zip files and have had no difficulty in the past in extracting them and then using the ./configure, /make and sudo /make install to install them. With Archimedes, however, it is not acting as I expected. Hence my questions to the Forum.

Although rapidly approaching my 80th birthday my brain has not yet atrophied, which is why I am determined to install Archimedes.

So, I still have the two problems:

Archimedes v0.52.0.jar installs but does not run.

Archimedes v0.64.2Exporter-linux.gtk.x86.zip is capable of being extracted but the ./configure command returns a message that there is not such file or Directory. And I did cd to /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/Archimedes where the extracted directory is.

Can you help me further?
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

Interesting...so just given it a try. It is fairly old though, 2006??

1. LM9 64bit
I went straight for the zip file, unpacked it, copied the Archimedes folder into home.
It is java but the launcher is an executable. - run it, nothing happens.
Open a terminal, cd to /Archimedes run with ./Archimedes. Nothing, not an error or anything else. Since there is a precompiled cairo-swt.so library best guess is "not-for-64-bit"

2. Decided to try on an old Tosh Tecra M1 with LM10 KDE. As before, copied Archimedes folder to home. Opened a terminal, cd to Archimedes folder, then ./Archimedes - success.

Horrible default colour scheme but it can be changed. screen shot here
http://www.imageno.com/ewb1iw84ji5opic.html

Return to “Software & Applications”