Light text editor with column ('newspaper') view support?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GroovingClockwork

Light text editor with column ('newspaper') view support?

Post by GroovingClockwork »

Hello,

I'm looking for a text editor or editor+plugin that allows displaying text in columns, newspaper-style.

OpenOffice does columns, but by actually editing the document. I'm more looking for a lightweight viewer/editor with a 'newspaper view' mode for plain text files, which doesn't alter the document.

(Note: this is not about the 'column mode' used for editing source code etc.)

thanks for any ideas,

GC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GroovingClockwork

Re: Light text editor with column ('newspaper') view support

Post by GroovingClockwork »

Hi viking777,

I'm afraid not. I use gedit so I had a look at the plugin list first. But the 'Column Mode' plugin is about editing text column-style, i.e. across lines; not about displaying text in columns.

GC
controlarms

Post by controlarms »

Hi GC, have you had any luck with your search?

I have the same wish for a text editor with approx 5 columns across the screen, but also with editing functions in this view. As I see it, I could use Word or OpenOffice, but there I have to manually configure the view every time I load a file, i.e. landscape view, 5 columns, font size 7 etc.

Cheers
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

GroovingClockwork wrote:OpenOffice does columns, but by actually editing the document. I'm more looking for a lightweight viewer/editor with a 'newspaper view' mode for plain text files, which doesn't alter the document.
Export it as a PDF file then. The original content is left unaltered and you just open the PDF in evince.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

controlarms wrote:I have the same wish for a text editor with approx 5 columns across the screen, but also with editing functions in this view. As I see it, I could use Word or OpenOffice, but there I have to manually configure the view every time I load a file, i.e. landscape view, 5 columns, font size 7 etc.
Then save it as a template for future use. When the need arises, just open the template and import the text file you want to view as columnar text. No need to [sic] manually configure the view every time, anymore.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Software & Applications”