separate working directories for OOo suite components?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

separate working directories for OOo suite components?

Post by doubled »

Anyone know whether it is possible to establish separate working directories for OOo Writer, OOo Calc, OOo Impress, OOo Base?

I've been happy to set a path (in Tools --> Options) that has a suite-wide directory -- forcing me to drill down to subdirectories for word-processing, spreadsheets, and presentations; but now I'm trying to move my wife away from M$ Office (for which separate directories for Word, Excel, etc., are easily set up) and I want to avoid the :evil: "where's my stuff?" :evil:

I well know how to set the path in OOo - that's not the question. Whether it is possible to set one path for Writer, another for Calc, etc. is the question. I don't think it can be done, but maybe someone knows a trick I haven't found in years of working in OOo.

Thanks,
David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Re: separate working directories for OOo suite components?

Post by doubled »

The forum at openoffice.org confirms my doubt:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... es#p165384

I guess confirmed doubt is better than unconfirmed....
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I have a keyboard shortcut (Alt+l) to launch Libre Office 3 (the whole suite) instead of the individual components. I can then choose which element I want to use.It also has an option to Open a previous document. Is that of any assistance?
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled »

Thanks, tenfoot, but, if I understand what your shortcut does, it's not exactly what I need. To that point there is a quickstarter feature if you install the Debian version of LO or OOo from the website -- but not if you use the Ubuntu PPA. Clicking that quickstarter tray icon will open a core LO/OOo component that will open to display the various pieces of the suite. That core component also is on the menu in either case.

What I want/need is, say, LibreOffice Calc by default to show only the folder where I keep spreadsheets (*.ods) when I click the "Open" icon. Likewise, the *.odt folder for Writer and *.odp for Impress. A workaround is to open from the document folder, perhaps arranging the files by date so that the most recent is on top. The "recent documents" feature on the file menu does not know the difference, so to speak, between ODT and ODS. Whichever is more recent is on top. By the way, Write, Calc, etc. remember your previously opened folder and revert to that at next opening of any program component. I suppose that is an effort to be helpful, but I don't like it, and, in addition, I've seen it baffle those who cannot find their way back "home." But this is beside the main point.

OOo and LO lack the ability to point to a specific folder for Writer, another for Calc, etc. There is only One Path for the entire suite. Separate paths is a feature that has been suggested for years, so I found out on the OOo forum; but, since not many have complained, it has not reached the level of developer priority that would result in some action. In fact, I'm OK without it, but my wife, who is accustomed to my having set up separate paths for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, expects it (read "no good deed goes unpunished") and makes her long for the level of precision to which she is accustomed, in addition to giving her grounds for commenting about how dumb OOo/LO is.

Just think how many marriages could be saved with this change!!! :idea: (Not to mention immediate World Peace.)

Return to “Software & Applications”