How does Upload Manager work?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How does Upload Manager work?

Postby Koffeehaus on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am

Hi,
I've been using Linux Mint for a year and a half now. About a month ago when I found out that Ubuntu is switching to Unity, I decided to give 10.10 a farewell ride while it still has Gnome. So, while with Ubuntu I got used to the Ubuntu One cloud, as for me it's a good way of storing my university assignments. After a month or so with 10.10 (which didn't go as well as Mint), I've dumped the Orange and now am back with the Green! lol

I see a big potential in cloud computing as far as managing my Academia is concerned and I'm looking for Ubuntu One alternatives for Mint. There is Upload Manager, but I can't understand how it works. I've entered my site's credentials and it connects fine, but I have no idea as to how to upload/download.

So, can someone explain how it works plz,

Thanks in advance,
Danny

P.S. I know Ubuntu One works fine with Mint, but I'd rather have a Mint variant for consistency reasons :)
Mint 10 Gnome eMachines E620 AMD64 ATI
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2

Location: London > England > United Kingdom > British Isles > Europe > Earth

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How does Upload Manager work?

Postby Sleven on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:02 pm

I can't answer your question directly as I have never used the upload manager, but I can tell you how to do what you are trying to do.

Open a Google Email account, there is an entire office suite of cloud apps, left hand side, half way down.
They work great, and you can access your files from any computer that has internet access.

You can customize your Gmail account with a Mint Green background if that will help :D
LMDE 64 running Cinnamon on an HP Compaq Core2 Duo 4G Ram
Sleven
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Seca on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:20 am

It's drag and drop. You drag the files from nautilus into the little rectangle that appears and it will upload on the spot.
Seca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ThistleWeb on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:10 am

I did a screencast demonstrating this http://thistleweb.co.uk/screencast/linux/mintupload, hopefully that helps.
Crivens!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Koffeehaus on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm

ThistleWeb wrote:I did a screencast demonstrating this http://thistleweb.co.uk/screencast/linux/mintupload, hopefully that helps.

Hmm, thanks, finally figured it out. was pressing a wrong button all this time. lol

Don't think this is what I thought it was :( It's more of a Filezilla than a cloud.
Mint 10 Gnome eMachines E620 AMD64 ATI
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2

Location: London > England > United Kingdom > British Isles > Europe > Earth

Postby DrHu on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I haven't used the upload manager, there had been an issue with itr earlier in Mint's development, a few versions (releases) back, but as for cloud/internet storage, there are many options available..

Dropbox is popularly mentioned
http://www.dropbox.com/
--across Operating system, Linux, Windows, MAC OSX
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Software & Applications