still have ubuntu menu want mint menu [fixed]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrpeachy

still have ubuntu menu want mint menu [fixed]

Post by mrpeachy »

Hi

I had ubuntu 10.10 installed then i switched to mint 10, overwriting the ubuntu / partition but keeping my /home (which is a separate partition)
but i still have the ubuntu menu system... applications, places system instead of mintmenu

how do i get mintmenu to show?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrpeachy

Re: still have ubuntu menu want mint menu

Post by mrpeachy »

sheesh i was just being dumb ... mint menu is right there in the options to add to panel!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I will assume that you are using the Main (Gnome) Edition of Mint.

Right click on the menu and click "Remove from Panel".

Now right click on the panel where you want the mintMenu to be and select "Add to Panel".

Scroll down the applets list until you find "mintMenu". Click it to highlight it and click "Add".

Close the "Add to Panel" window and the mintMenu should be added to the panel.

If this does not work, post back here and we will get a little deeper into the nuts and bolts of the panel.

EDIT

Posted this and immediately saw your post about finding it yourself. Glad it worked out so well so quickly.
mrpeachy

Post by mrpeachy »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I will assume that you are using the Main (Gnome) Edition of Mint.

Right click on the menu and click "Remove from Panel".

Now right click on the panel where you want the mintMenu to be and select "Add to Panel".

Scroll down the applets list until you find "mintMenu". Click it to highlight it and click "Add".

Close the "Add to Panel" window and the mintMenu should be added to the panel.

If this does not work, post back here and we will get a little deeper into the nuts and bolts of the panel.

EDIT

Posted this and immediately saw your post about finding it yourself. Glad it worked out so well so quickly.
thanks for the reply :D

actually, although i now have the mint menu working, is there a way to remove my current panel and generate a standard mint panel?
i still have stuff from the old ubuntu panel on the right side, and while i know i can remove things and change them around I would like to start with a defualt mint panel

thanks
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can create a new panel from the same drop down menu where you found "Add to Panel". This panel will initially be unoccupied. All the applets you need are in the "Add to Panel" menu. You will be able to find most things easily, but a few have slightly deceptive names.

Notification area - This is where icons for things like Network Manager applet will appear.

Indicator Applet - this is where the sound adjustment icon, Bluetooth, and several other icons will be.

Window List - This is the applet that displays open and minimised windows and allows you to switch between them

Window Selector - Alternative to Window List. Places a button on the panel that opens a drop down menu showing the open and minimised windows.

Most of the rest are straightforward enough.

Items will normally be added to the panel at the point where your mouse cursor was when you opened "Add to Panel", but they may be moved. Right click on the item you want to move, make sure "Lock to Panel" is not checked, and click "Move". Until you click the mouse button again, you can drag the icon anywhere on the panel with one limitation. You cannot drag past another icon that is locked to the panel. If you want to pass another icon, make sure before you start the move that the icons to be passed are unlocked.

After everything is in the place you want it, go along the panel and lock everything down.

Now you can right click on your old panel and click "Delete This Panel" to remove it. Right click on the new panel and open "Properties" to use the Orientation function to move the entire panel to the edge of the screen where you want it.
mrpeachy

Post by mrpeachy »

thanks once again technogeek :)

i was hoping that there was a config file that would just give me the stock mint panel...
but i will play around with all the options you listed and see if i can put something together that I like :)

Return to “Software & Applications”