HELP with Auto Mounting [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robbrown.au

HELP with Auto Mounting [SOLVED]

Post by robbrown.au »

Hi, I'm still new to Linux (so far love it, love it, love it)....

Problem:
I am duel booting with Windows 7 and Linux Mint 10.
I wanted to have my NTFS drives auto-mount at login so I Google'd and installed NTFS-Config (from Package Manager).
After install and starting the app I didn't get the options screen as shown on a few help sites I looked at.
Anyway it gave me a hard time so I un-installed NTFS-Config, but now when I startup Mint, just before the login screen, it shows "The disk for /media/sdb is not ready yet or present" it gives me the option to Skip or Manual (I looked at Manual but way over my head) so I skip and then it goes trough all the other NTFS drives I have in my system until I get to the Login screen.
Now when logged in I can't unmount any drives (unless I log out and log in as root)... there are a few drives that I don't need mounted.

Q:
Is there any way to get back to how my Mint 10 (Juila) OS was before NTFS-Config?

Sorry about the lengthy explanation...
Thanks
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robbrown.au

Re: HELP with Auto Mounting [SOLVED]

Post by robbrown.au »

[solved]

Loged in as root.
Unistalled and then reinstall NTFS-Config.
Edited the etc/fstab file.
Replace default with noauto,users for the drives I didn't want to mount.

Still can't right click to unmount the other drives (even tho I have admin privileges) but thats OK as I need them mounted anyway.

Thanks google.....
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

You could try pysdm

sudo apt-get install pysdm

then menu / admin / storage manager

then edit the users and groups to allow you to mount/unmount filesystems
robbrown.au

Post by robbrown.au »

Thanks hemimaniac I've checked out pysdm and that would've been a hell of a lot easier than the way I done it, thanks heaps, funny tho in all my searching for NTFS managers that never showed up...
Many Thanks Again
Rob

Return to “Software & Applications”