[SOLVED] Google Earth rendered useless on Mint ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nc6400_mint

[SOLVED] Google Earth rendered useless on Mint ?

Post by nc6400_mint »

I wrote this in another thread but figured it might fit better here ...

I have just installed googleearth 6.0.1.2032 from earth.google.com. (download a .deb file and use gdebi package installer)
Hoping to fix the problem with the 5.x version (from a fresh Mint installation.) which want able to "log in to keyhole/google server port 80")

New version 6 is also unable to work "at all" :
It times out after a minute or so, after showing the googleearth with a black windows where my dualbooted Ubuntu installation would show the globe.
- and then after timeout whines "Google Earth can't contact the Imagery server to download new images"

Any suggestions how to fix this on Linux Mint ?? (which is now running with a Liquorix kernel, which made the ATI (radeon X1300) and Compiz work together)
As I said, the Ubuntu 10.10 on same laptop have no issues with GE ... !?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Google Earth rendered useless on Mint ?

Post by AlbertP »

Are you sure the lsb-core package is installed? (sudo apt-get install lsb-core or use Software/Package Manager)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

Thanks for replying so fast!
Yes, I have lsb-core

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep lsb-core
ii  lsb-core                                  3.2-27                            Linux Standard Base 3.2 core support package
I really would appreciate if someone could advise how to troubleshoot this issue, because if I start googleearth from a terminal it says absolutely zilch about what it is trying to do, and why it is apparently failing so miserably on this platform/installation ? - or if google had some way to enable debug when running this way too cool application ....
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Debug will not be possible with a closed-source application. Only Google employees can do that.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

Have just tried downloading the .bin file from google. (didnt know I could that ... :) )
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-instal ... untu-10.10 - using the procedure shown by fedelep

I installed a newer version (6.0.2.2074) than the "download here, that google itself provides from http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html?

But it also fails to connect to "Imagery Server" :?

I am "lost for words" :(
colyn

Post by colyn »

Here's the proper way to install Googleearth in Mint 9 and 10

You also need to update your version of lsb-core to v4.0

If you want to install the latest current version of Googleearth follow these simple steps and you will have it up and running in no time.

First though you will need to purge any installs or attempts at installing Googleearth.

These terminal entries have to be entered exactly as typed below so you may want to copy/paste into your terminal.

To start: Open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install lsb-core
Once done enter

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
After the package is installed enter

sudo make-googleearth-package --force
This process will take several minutes and you will see many warning notices but ignore them.

Once the above process is completed close the terminal and go to your /home folder where you will find a googleearth_xx.deb package. Double-click it and follow instructions.

Once installed you should have the Googleearth link in your Internet folder.

Enjoy
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Odd, I just install it from the repo and it works fine, even on my netbook.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Midnighter wrote:Odd, I just install it from the repo and it works fine, even on my netbook.
It looks like the repo has finally caught up with the latest version. However doing the way I posted above builds the package to your particular computer which may or may not be better.

Did it include lsb-core as a dependency that would also be installed?
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

This is the result of trying to upgrade lsb-core. (it won't , it remains on 3.2-27)
So my Ubuntu remains the sole contender in the race for world domination, if googleearth operation is the parameter to consider) :D

How should I upgrade to lsb-core 4 ?

sudo apt-get install --reinstall lsb-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libqtmultimediakit1 libqtwebkit4 libqt4-xmlpatterns emacsen-common
  libqtlocation1 libqt4-webkit libphonon4 libqtsensors1
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 39.5 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing/main lsb-core i386 3.2-27 [39.5 kB]
Fetched 39.5 kB in 15s (2,575 B/s)                 
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 166207 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace lsb-core 3.2-27 (using .../lsb-core_3.2-27_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement lsb-core ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up lsb-core (3.2-27) ...

Right now I have the GE 6.0.2 installed, using the googleinstaller (.bin) which prompts for install destination..
I will try the googleearth-package procedure later, but if it works, it will have been magicallyfixed within the last hours because I tried that route quite a few times already.

But thanks for the interest in trying to assist a fellow Mint'er :D
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

colyn wrote:Here's the proper way to install Googleearth in Mint 9 and 10
<snip>

Enjoy
Hi Colyn,
Same procedure as I followed earlier fior sure. Tried it once again and it now installs the same version I just uninstalled. 6.0.2.2074.

Only difference in this , compared to the old 5.x version is that it now whines "cant connect to imagery server ..."

The first times I might have installed (both 5.x and 6.x ) without the lsb-core present, but it was definitely there now.

It just won't work (on MY Mint ) :| .... weird
colyn

Post by colyn »

nc6400_mint wrote:
colyn wrote:Here's the proper way to install Googleearth in Mint 9 and 10
<snip>

Enjoy
Hi Colyn,
Same procedure as I followed earlier fior sure. Tried it once again and it now installs the same version I just uninstalled. 6.0.2.2074.

Only difference in this , compared to the old 5.x version is that it now whines "cant connect to imagery server ..."

The first times I might have installed (both 5.x and 6.x ) without the lsb-core present, but it was definitely there now.

It just won't work (on MY Mint ) :| .... weird

Try this. Open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get --purge remove googleearth xxxx
Be sure to enter the exact version in place of the X's. This will remove the googleearth program as well as all configuration files. reboot then try installing googleearth from synaptic since it now has the current version. Make sure lsb-core is still installed..
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

Sorry to say that it didnt do any good.
Have just finished sudo --purge remove googlleearth (and google-earth-stable
reboot
sudo make-googleearth-package
gdebi googlex-xxxxx.deb
start googleearth

wait 1 minute to see it cry about being unable to contact "Imagery Server"

Then cry myself, at being forced to skip Mint and use Ubuntu if I think google earth is cool.
- And be frustrated about not knowing who/what to blame ?
- And having no knowledge of tools that could reveal the cause.

Dang! :?
colyn

Post by colyn »

nc6400_mint wrote:Sorry to say that it didnt do any good.
I was going back over your various posts and noticed you are using the liquorix kernel. This kernel caused issues with one of my computers not wanting to run GoogleEarth so I upgraded to the current 2.6.38-2 Ubuntu kernel via the method outlined in post #1 here. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=kernel It now works fine on that computer..

However there is no guarantee it will fix your problem..
nc6400_mint

Post by nc6400_mint »

Case solved....
Thanks to a colleague who suggested I try disabling ipv6 completely :

ipv6.disable=1 in grub settings will make googleearth work. (At least on this nc6400)

Who's to blame, Mint/ipv6 or GE ? (or me, because I might be missing some (to me unknown) default ipv6 setup ?

Return to “Software & Applications”