No sound.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheDoctor

No sound.

Post by TheDoctor »

I've had Mint 10 installed for a couple of days, and it's been running fine, no problems at all. And then today something happened, I went away for 5 minutes and I came back and my screen was black, so I tried to move the mouse to wake it up, didn't work, I pressed enter and space, still nothing, then it turned off, I switched it back on and a Terminal window popped open after I logged in, never happened before, and it had like 5-6 tabs opened, one working from Documents directory, I ignored it and carried on and then I realised that there's no sound. I've tried to reboot and nothing, except the sound when you log in. Any suggestions? And I put this in the software section, because I'm assuming it is do to with software as it worked before, and my hardware hasn't changed.

UPDATE: Never mind I got it. For those who may have the same problem: Click the volume icon, sound preferences, click the hardware tab and then change the selected device to Analog Stereo Output. Worked for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: No sound.

Post by lmintnewb »

Coupla of helpful suggestions.

Tell people more about your comp, it's specs. What other OS's are on it. Stuff you may have done to it or installed on it since the problems have come up. Any glitches or problems you had till now and what you did to address them.

If you've had it a wk and don't have much on it. My first instinct would be to reinstall fresh and start over. Btw, ... when you finish installing, update manager will tell you to download the kitchen sink. You don't need to .... Do not download and install packages rated 4 and 5.

Which update manager will list the number beside each package telling you what number they are rated. If everything worked fine up till now. Could be a bad package causing you the pains in your rear.

Also assuming that you md5 checksumed the livecd/dvd file you used to burn your install disc and burned the iso at a reasonably low speed. Which since it was working fine. Just my newb opinion but doubt it was a corrupted install.

Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”