wine problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antonvslavik

wine problem

Post by antonvslavik »

bash: exec: /home/antonvslavik/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Stardock Games/Sin of a Solar Empire/Sins of a Solar Empire.exe: cannot execute: No such file or directory
I have tried every solution on the net and nothing works i am running the latest linux mint (julia i think)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
colyn

Re: wine problem

Post by colyn »

Are you trying to run the program or install it??

You also need to check the winehq site to see if the program will run in wine..
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

a couple of points

In typical Windows style the path and name contain spaces, thats why you get a file-not-found error. Enclose the path in quotes.

I don't understand your command but assuming the game has been installed in C:\Program Files the syntax to start it in a terminal would be

wine "c:/Program Files/Stardock Games/Sin of a Solar Empire/Sins of a Solar Empire.exe"
or alternatively
wine "/home/<your name>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Stardock Games/Sin of a Solar Empire/Sins of a Solar Empire.exe"

not guaranteed to work as colyn points out but if you run in a terminal you sometimes get a 'can't find xxxx.dll' message, then you can track down the missing file and add it to (usually) windows/system32
antonvslavik

Post by antonvslavik »

I have tried putting quotes and replacing spaces with \'s
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

replacing spaces with \'s
err.....don't, that is a directory (folder) separater

if you want to replace the spaces in a file or directory name use an underscore _

and that goes for anything, spaces - not a good idea.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Actually I think the OP was trying to escape out the spaces, which would make bash ignore them. It's actually a sensible thing to do.

Code: Select all

touch ~/some\ file\ with\ spaces\
is equivalent to

Code: Select all

touch ~/"some file with spaces"
antonvslavik

Post by antonvslavik »

we are off topic. The point is that the wine directory doesn't actually exist and how do i fix that
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

antonvslavik wrote:we are off topic. The point is that the wine directory doesn't actually exist and how do i fix that
If you mean how do I fix the directory for the game/application under wine that is missing, reinstall that application if it can work under wine and check again whether it runs or does not run
  • Pay attention to any messages
    --you might also start wine in a terminal or the game/application in a terminal and check for any error messages..
Reinstall wine
--that should then create the .wine directory (folder) under /home

Or run winecfg to setup wine!

Wine information..
http://frankscorner.org/
antonvslavik

Post by antonvslavik »

the wine directory doesn't show up in my user files. is this a problem with julia or wine
colyn

Post by colyn »

antonvslavik wrote:the wine directory doesn't show up in my user files. is this a problem with julia or wine
You need to show hidden files to see the wine directory if you haven't done so already..
antonvslavik

Post by antonvslavik »

ok i downloaded the latest wine version where do i extract it to

Return to “Software & Applications”