Samba, video, or converter - who's guilty?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
castalla

Samba, video, or converter - who's guilty?

Post by castalla »

I have encountered a bizarre problem using Samba to share a converted video file to a media player.

Here's a brief run-down:

Mp4 converted to mpeg2 using Freemake (in Win 7). Copied to linux folder. Converted video plays on media player unit.

Same mp4 converted using linux converters (eg. Sinthgunt, Transmaggedon( to mpeg2. This fails to play on media player.

However, if the linux converted file is copied to Windows share folder, the video then plays.

I have no idea where the 'blame' lies - the video converters, Samba, or what? My suspicion is Samba.

Can anybody help, suggestions, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Samba, video, or converter - who's guilty?

Post by MaddogF16 »

Fails to play on media player? What exact media player?? VLC, Windows Media Player, Totem?? If you converted it on Linux to play to windows it's probably windows not liking the linux conversion. You also failed to say what you converted it to in Linux.
castalla

Re: Samba, video, or converter - who's guilty?

Post by castalla »

Okay - here goes:

The original mp4 file is converted to mpeg2 using virtually every linux converter (avidemux, Transmaggedon, ffmpeg, Sinthgunt, Winff). The encoded file fails to play on an external media player unit (Technisat HDFS). If I copy the same encoded file to XP share then the media player can play the file.

If I encode the file in Windows using Freemake or Super and copy the file to the linux share folder then the media player CAN play the file. Windows encoded files play without any issues.

Additionally, if I copy the linuz encoded file to Android Samba file share then it does play on the media player.

Return to “Software & Applications”