The Google Chrome Saga (Solved, sort of)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

The Google Chrome Saga (Solved, sort of)

Post by viking777 »

Until a couple of weeks ago I was using (trying to use would be a better way to put it) Google Chrome Beta (v11.something) as my back up browser to Opera. It was a disaster. About 70% of the pages I tried to load just timed out, hell even my own start page (which was a completely unmodified 'most visited' page) would time out :shock:

I decided to dump beta and went back to Stable (v10.xxx). This was considerably better it only timed out about 30% of the time instead of 70% and my start page never timed out.

Then just to spite me I guess :lol: Google upgraded Stable to the same version as Beta (v11.xxxx). I reasoned that as it had now been declared 'stable' that they must have improved it somehow - how wrong could you be! It is every bit as useless as it was before, perhaps even worse.

So I decided to try a different approach, I removed 'Stable' and installed 'Unstable' in its place (v12.xxxx). Now I haven't had it in place long yet but so far it hasn't timed out once and is actually behaving like a normal browser, I even get a start page :D

So if you are one of the people out there with problems using Chrome 11, giving version 12 a try is a gamble worth taking as I see it at the moment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: The Google Chrome Saga

Post by lmintnewb »

Feel about the same you do. Though don't have as much trouble with that version of chrome 11.xxxx etc. Still not worth the headaches. Have a tweaked version of FF 4.01 that's about as fast as any of the other browsers I've installed. I mean does .00032 secs faster load time really matter ? Plus ya cannot beat FF for making it easy on a user to customize to their hearts content.

Was disappointed to see what google had to offer. Was expecting better from them. Since they have more $$$ than god, shrugs. Not to mention M$ being one of the few ( though google really has no serious ) rivals. Would think they'd focus a lot more energy on making a web browser that blows everything else away ... esp IE.

A few tweaks and think I'll just stick with good ole FF. :D

(pointless update) In fact went ahead and ditched chromium and chrome. Can't for the life of me think why I'd need 14 web browsers, shrugs. Can't beat FF for making things easy to tweak and their stuff is all out in the open. More so than with other organizations I'd think. Like google is big on data collection and with marketing going to behavioral targeting ... so forth. Can see chrome or chromium watching every move a user makes. No matter how you've got it set up.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
latestpriceco

Post by latestpriceco »

Hmm, once i was having same prob but right it is working fine. but i'll try this
newmobilesco

Post by newmobilesco »

My google chrome is working fine. it has no issue.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If Chrome is working for you then good luck - when it works it is the fastest browser around, but if it times out all the time then it ain't much use!

Chrome 12 has had a few timeouts now as well, so I guess it is about the same as Chrome 10 was, but miles better than 11.

FF4 is a good piece of kit. I have already got it on Pclos and I was surprised to find it on my Parted Magic 6 usb key as well, I don't know why it hasn't got onto Mint as the default browser yet. (yes I know I can install it myself but Opera is just as good so I will wait for it to turn up as the default).
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Not that it matters o course. But FF 4.01 is a recent update they released. Rather than just FF 4.00, was a coupla of MB's update. I found looking around in the synaptic upstream section. Did the same thing and found updates for chromium 10etc. Went ahead and installed them thinking update must surely mean better. It updated chromium to that same 11.xxx version and what starts happening ?

Slowed it up ... figured forgettaboutit at that point. Canned chromium 11.xxx and chrome 11.xxx and decided all I need is one web browser. As mentioned truth told. This tweaked FF 4.01 is performing as fast as any of the others were. Even before the update trashed the chromium 10.xxx.

Oh well ... just thought I'd mention FF 4.01 is a recent update mozilla released. As I'm doing one of my new favorite things. Dinking off on this forum. When I'm supposed to be doing productive stuff. :D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well I gave up on this one - twice.

I gave up trying to make Chrome work for me (v12 was much better than v11, but still not right)

And I also gave up waiting for Mint to get round to releasing FF4 and just installed it myself from the ppa.

What a joy, I now have a fast and stable browser again.

Would I use it in preference to my usual favourite Opera?

Well yes probably I would. If you have seen another of my threads you will know that I suffer from random image ghosting which appears to be something to do with Opera and Flash 10.2 and I don't seem to be able to fix it. If it weren't for that I would stick with Opera, but as it is I think I will use FF4 for now - until I find something wrong with that as well :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”