DVD Burning software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
killerwolf

DVD Burning software

Post by killerwolf »

I want to burn a VCD/SVCD that includes a selectable menu screen, but none of the DVD burning programs I have seem to be able to: A) give me a selectable menu, and B) they don't seem to be able to recognize the format that they are stored in, which I'm pretty sure is in .avi format. Does anyone know any DVD burning programs capable of giving me a menu on my VCD as well as having the capability of reading .avi formats (preferably in the free range)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: DVD Burning software

Post by tdockery97 »

There are two really good ones. DeVeDe, which is free, and convertxtodvd, which is not free. I use convertxtodvd because it does the main menus with chapters extremely easily. It works under Wine 1.3.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

A VCD? ignoring the obvious question (why?) I used to make these 10 years ago in Windows before DVD's became available/cheap. Never came across one with a menu although you could author one with several tracks.
A quick search brings this up.
http://muhdzamri.blogspot.com/2007/01/h ... linux.html
vcdimager is available in the repo.

If you are determined to stick with CD rather than DVD, Nero linux will burn a miniDVD - thats a CD with a DVD file structure not a small DVD. Don't know about k3b. Always had problems with these and I think best avoided.

Another thing to consider is playing them, my old liteon DVD recorder/player plays VCD but a more modern Samsung does not. I think they have given up the format as too obselete to bother with.

If you go one stage further and go for a DVD, you will get a menu structure and VCD format (352x288 PAL mpeg1) is still a valid DVD size/format. see: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

In this case the other recommendation for DeVeDe is a good one.

edit: Just been doing a bit of experimenting and Brasero will make a VCD/SVCD. Took one of my old VCD tracks that I had converted to .avi and Brasero burnt it back to a bin/cue image that is in VCD format. Looks ok, audio is correct 44100 Hz rather than DVD 48000Hz, Brasero said it was converting the file to mpeg2 which would not be correct but inspection of the result suggests otherwise. Needs vcdimager which is in the repo.
You still will not get a menu however.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Devede. Seriously, it's dead easy. Choose what you want it to make (DVD, VCD, etc), and point it to the files you want it to make into a disc. I does all the work.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Software & Applications”