Solved Update manager Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Solved Update manager Problem

Post by Cy1clown »

I am having problems with the update manager in Mint9. I had calibre, the version listed in mint software manager installed 0.6.42 and upgraded to 0.8.0 via command line install from the calibre web site. I then had two icons in my menu list. I tried to uninstall the old version and got an error "E: calibre: unable to securely remove '/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/manual/epub.py'" now my update manager will not install any updates and fails with that same error every time.
Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks
Jon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Update manager Problem

Post by lmintnewb »

Can try ... but am linux newbish. So listening to me could poss make your dog bite you. Your friends shun you, your gf mad atcha. Your computer make strange noises and or begin having odd flashing lights. Plus other bad stuff could happen. :D

Attempt at help: Go into synaptic ... search for the problem package. Mark for complete removal by right clicking on it. Mark the other one for installation or reinstallation the same way. Apply changes and see whatcha get then.

If that doesn't clear things up could do the same thing for update manager. Mark for reinstall, apply ... See what the results are.
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cy1clown »

In software manager it shows that Calibre is still installed. ie it gives me a remove button not an install button.
If I click on the remove button it starts removal and gets to 11% in the progress bar the stops and kicks back to the regular calibre screen in software manager.
In update manager any time I start it it tries to uninstall calibre and then gives the "E: calibre: unable to securely remove '/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/manual/epub.py'" error and kicks back to the starting update manager screen.
The file it is referencing does not exist I have /usr/lib/calibre but it does not go on to a /calibre/manual/epub.py
Hope these details help

Thanks
Jon
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

What about synaptic or whichever other package manager Mint 9 comes with ? I only ever used Mint 10 main ( 32bit). So don't know if synaptic is included by default in LM 9. Has to have a package manager surely ?

Would try it there and leave the software manager approach alone. Could also use the terminal commands to remove or purge a package. Don't know those offhand though ( the forums or google does if worse comes to worse.) Would try the package manager route first.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Tue May 17, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cy1clown »

Package manager gives me the same error as update manager.
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cy1clown »

From the calibre forum I was told that "sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/calibre" would remove that folder and all subfolders.
If I removed them would the other programs detect it was gone?

Thanks
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Yikes .... looks like it's not leaving you much alternative but to do some terminal time then.

Would google or forum search around about the commands to reinstall via terminal. Then try reinstalling your package manager and/or software manager. Would think if whatever you did broke both. Then fixing/reinstalling it would fix both too.

That's just wishful thinking though.

Guess couldn't hurt boning up on the commands to remove or purge packages via terminal too. While ya doing all the googling.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Tue May 17, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cy1clown »

It looks like mint still thinks the old version is there and it is not it is the new version.
Package manager shows the old version number in the description.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Looked potentially useful in your situation.

http://superuser.com/questions/102449/d ... ng-apt-get

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... et.en.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ge-237772/

Not all of these are necessarily custom tailored or clear cut how to's for your situation. But are generally what I was getting at. You can un-install, purge, clean, install/reinstall ... Just about anything from terminal.

The upside here. Is once you overcome this borkage via terminal. It will make you a more proficient linux user. Plus you will feel like an uber leet, ultra cool hacker type superspy. :D

and from linux mint forum person vrkalak. Who seems to know his stuff btw.

http://ss64.com/bash/
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Sheesh am probably making things worse by trying to help out ( did warn ya afterall ). Though seems like some of that would be a sensible approach to resolving the borkage you have going. Reinstalling the software manager and/or synaptic via terminal should not be all that hard. Not with google backing you up. Just going to take you a lil bit of research.

That link I found, which covers some terminal commands vrkalak originally posted. Looked to have all the apt-get commands and others you'd need. To remove/purge whatever you're needing to get rid of and then install whatever you're missing. ie: software/package manager(s). A google search for a more concise explanation with examples of apt-get could help though I guess.

Were me, would focus on getting synaptic reinstalled and working properly. Then from there use it to get rid of whatever problem child packages you have installed. But that's what makes me newbish. The uber leet linux people would do it in terminal in 48secs. :D
Cy1clown
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cy1clown »

Solved my problem. Removed all files and folders with rm command.
Did Complete removal in package manager.
Reinstalled the program.
All OK now

Thanks
proxima_centauri

Re: Solved Update manager Problem

Post by proxima_centauri »

Glad you solved the problem.

I removed the duplicate thread in Software & Applications subforum

Return to “Software & Applications”