problems with virtual box

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
complimentarygrowler

problems with virtual box

Post by complimentarygrowler »

I've experienced error messages after re-installing virtual box ose. I kind of thought that I'd be able to get virtual box back exactly to the way it was when I first installed it, but I'm getting the same messages even after selecting the "Mark for complete removal" in the synaptic package manager. I'm running linux mint 10 Julia 32bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bananas4370

Re: problems with virtual box

Post by bananas4370 »

What error messages are you experiencing?

Cheers
Patrick
complimentarygrowler

Whenever I select (use existing Hard Disk) I get the error message that it can't register the disk because a hard drive with the UUID already exists. To give you a little background information, the hard drive I select is a image of a hard drive that has the .vdi extension. I thought by completely removing the virtual box software by way of the synaptic package mananger that this error message would go away. After completely removing virtual box by way of synaptic and re-installing it, I get the same error message.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Try this to remove any remaining orphaned bits of VB. Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove

This will clear any remaining dependencies or sub processes that the Synaptic "Complete Removal" command does not handle.

Also, go through the hidden config files in /home and delete any referring to Virtual Box or having the suffix.vdi.
bananas4370

Post by bananas4370 »

You can always change the UUID of the disk image you are working with. Open a terminal and run

VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid /pathtoimage/disk.vdi 
If successful, it will return the following message

UUID changed to: 3f46a3d2-a94b-4ddf-aea6-e48433549c9e
You should now be able to load that image into vbox. The UUID above won't be the same as what yours will generate.
I thought by completely removing the virtual box software by way of the synaptic package mananger that this error message would go away
You'd need to right click and mark the package for complete removal, otherwise all the data files remain, and vbox will say that the image is already registered.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Patrick
complimentarygrowler

I'm going to try all of the suggestions from everyone who has taken the time to read my posts. Thanks to all. In the meantime I decided to re-install my win xp vbox machine. Now everything is up to date. The old .vdi I was trying to load was not up to date. Thanks again.

Return to “Software & Applications”