Mint Update repository count

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveL60

Mint Update repository count

Post by DaveL60 »

I've been running Mint for a while now on my HP laptop, and have played with various versions (32 vs 64 bit, LMDE, etc.). I'm currently running 32-bit Mint 11. One of the things I've noticed over time is that the number of repositories that Mint Update checks when it starts up seems to grow over time. IIRC, my earliest use of Mint 9, it only check 30-40ish repositories. Currently it reports checking somewhere around 100. So (a) is this normal? (b) is there any way of checking / cleaning the repository list so that Mint Update is only checking repositories that I actually care about?

DaveL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Mint Update repository count

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As far as the growing repo count, that is normal. Every time you add a PPA or a repo to get a new program, from one to ten sources will be added to the list that mintUpdate must load every time it starts. Many apps added with .deb packages also add repos to the list. At the moment, my list is approaching 200 items every time mintUpdate starts because I am constantly adding PPAs and repos to test new apps.

One of the best and easiest ways I know of to edit the list is to install Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/). This includes a section in Package Cleanup to purge PPAs you no longer use. Other than this, you can edit your sources list in terminal with the command

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
If you are not using the Main (Gnome) Edition, replace "gedit" with the proper text editor for the version of Mint you use.

Just be certain that you are only removing sources that contain absolutely no current applications or you will lose the ability to update.

Return to “Software & Applications”