Switching to linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Switching to linux

Postby Lord-Nexsys on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Hey, i recently decided to switch to linux, i have not got it installed yet however as i have heard a few problems. One of the biggest would be that i am a very big gaming fan, and ive heard that linux does not support windows games. With this in mind i fear i might not be able to upgrade to a linux machine. I'm just looking for an answer as to if i can play all my windows games on linux mint.
Lord-Nexsys
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switching to linux

Postby Borat on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:02 pm

you won't be able to play most windows games on Linux, though some run under wine or cedega, but Linux does have lots of games ready to download :)
Borat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Noob Saibot on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Well the solution for you, my friend, might be to dual-boot your PC. That way you can use linux and still have windows for your games.
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy
Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Yeh a dual boot is usually a best bet if you are a gamer
but if you have a good amount of memory and a XP disk you can run windows under a virtual machine app
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:40 pm

good amount of memory and a XP disk you can run windows under a virtual machine app

i have an xp disk, but im not sure what you mean, can you explain more please.

Postby deadguy on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:14 pm

here's info on one such virtual machine app: http://www.virtualbox.org/

it is in the mint software portal: http://linuxmint.com/software/?sec=cate ... &release=2
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:25 pm

thanks, ill look into it

Postby bef on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:45 am

Running games through VMware or Vbox isn't ideal, a dual-boot is much more sensible..
A virtual windows installation doesn't make the most of your graphics cards and other hardware, in my experience.

Both options are easily achievable, even for a new user, there is so many guides. Should something go wrong, there is communities like this where you can get help and advice.

My suggestion would be to go with a dual-boot if you want to keep playing your Windows games, but look at both the options and assess what suits you better.
member 675
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gman8941 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:40 pm

I dual booted Vista and Linux for a while sense I feared that my TF2 and WoW would run slow...well I fully converted over to Linux and through Wine, TF2 Runs better than it did in vista and I quit playing wow so I never installed it. I would expect the results to be near the same though. So i guess it really just depend on what games you play, it is totally possible for you to fully convert if your lucky like me and your games run good.
Gman8941
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid7711 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Sunny Rabbiera wrote:if you have a good amount of memory and a XP disk you can run windows under a virtual machine app

That might work for most games that require very minimal/no 3d acceleration, but most of those types of games work under wine in that case.
Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications