File shredding software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldcat

File shredding software

Post by oldcat »

I am looking for a file shredder program for Linux Mint. I see nothing in the package manager. By googling “file shredder”, I find a few programs, some free, some with a small price tag. I also keep getting something called “deep shredder chess”, which I'm not interested in. Can anyone recommend a file shredder that is compatible with Linux Mint? I am assuming that hard drives on Linux machines are just as vulnerable to ID theft as those on Windows machines although I don't read much about it. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: File shredding software

Post by ThistleWeb »

Have a read through this page from the Arch wiki about securely erasing the HD by overwriting every block with random data.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy ... disk_Drive
Last edited by ThistleWeb on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

My question is: is it really necessary? I mean, your purpose is to erase completely the data and then selling your hard disk? In such a case then probably yes, a file shredder is a good idea, so the person that will buy your hard disk will not be able to recover your data. What I am trying to say is: what you are trying to do cannot be done in a easier way? What kind of data you do not want to be stolen? In other words, what are concerned about? That someone will steal your computer and recover the data you deleted? That somebody with viruses or whatever remotely recovers your data? Personally I never heard that someone remotely recovered the deleted data, as far as I know in this cases your main concern should be about the data not deleted. You talked about ID theft, but what kind?
If you can, please explain better what you are trying to do, it may be that there is a better way to do that. What I can say at the moment, is that shred should be installed by default. Type in your terminal:

Code: Select all

shred --help
in order to see how to use it.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Never heard of shred before, but the help file looks like it's designed for individual files instead of hard drives as a whole, so I guess it's down to what you need to shred.
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

This is why I asked him what he is trying to do, I do not understand what he is trying to delete: if single files or the whole hard disk and in order to avoid what. Because it could be that a file shredder is not what he actually needs, there could be better solutions but they clearly depends upon what he needs to do. Let's see what he says.
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

@oldcat

If you just want to shred files and folders or overwrite the deleted files on your installation, there is bleachbit in the repo.

If you want to wipe a disk before resale there is DBAN http://www.dban.org/
oldcat

Post by oldcat »

Exaeresis, it is my understanding that when you delete something from your computer, some residue of that deleted material is left on the HD and can be recovered with specialized software. Criminals use it. The FBI uses it. If that is incorrect, then I admit to being misinformed. Homes are broken into every day and computers are stolen. Laptops seem to be prime targets of thieves. If you can find shredding software that will delete the files or whatever that you want to delete, then write over that portion several times, that will reduce the chances of any data ever being recovered. You can find all sorts of file shredding software for Windows. It is sort of like having a physical shredder in your home so you can shred your personal documents before putting them in the trash. Crosscut shredders are better than single cut shredders. Do you have any financial software on your computer? If you do, whatever you delete may get deleted from your view but that image of those things stay on the HD. If you wish to take a chance that your personal and financial data ends up in the hands of identity thieves, well..... It is your life.
oldcat

Post by oldcat »

Rich2005, I googled your suggestion of bleachbit, then found it in the software manager. That may be what I am looking for. It looks similar to CC cleaner for windows. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to install it and see.
oldcat

Post by oldcat »

Here's an informative page on how to get rid of sensitive data on your drive. The part on shredding an individual file from the terminal by using the shred command interested me. Anyway, I have some useful pointers to use with Linux now. Thanks to all.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15037/us ... ard-drive/
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

alias shred='shred -u -n 5'
stick that in your .bashrc and "smoke" it. :wink:
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Habitual wrote:

alias shred='shred -u -n 5'
stick that in your .bashrc and "smoke" it. :wink:
This is why corporate CEO's should never be allowed to run Linux, it's far too easy to hide the evidence as the FBI are delayed by formalities at the foyer.
gabranth

Post by gabranth »

ive used wipe in linux didn't work very well as i was able to see some of the contents of the disk when formatting to ntfs and scanning it in windows

Return to “Software & Applications”