Software manager does not install anymore

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squev

Software manager does not install anymore

Post by squev »

Hi

When I search for an application in mint install (7.3.3) and click install when it is stated as not installed it asks me for my password as expected, accepts it then nothing further happens, the 'active task area' remains at 0 ongoing actions. And the status remains not installed.

I have tried a dpkg-reconfigure, and 'aptitude reinstall mintinstall' both worked but neither fixed said problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Software manager does not install anymore

Post by remoulder »

Try using synaptic package manager, there may be a dependency issue that is preventing installation.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
graeme

Post by graeme »

Have you solved this?

I have a similar problem with Mint Install on LMDE. You could try running from the command line and seeing if your error output is at all similar to mine on this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79987
mikeeve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeeve »

This may not be the same issue you have. Software Manager (SM) is installed in Linux Mint 11 (both 32 and 64 Intel),
When I browse SM for an uninstalled packages, such as qt-sdk, it says 'Not Installed'. I then install it, see the activity as it downloads, but the label 'Not Installed' remains. Only after I close and restart SM does the label change to 'Installed'. A small bug, or it a feature?

Summary : Session Manager installs packages correctly, but the label is not auto-updated from 'Not Installed' to 'Installed'. This gives the erroneous impression that Session Manager has failed to install the package.
graeme

Post by graeme »

I think you have a different problem to both mine and squev. Everyone seems to have a different problem with the software manager: it seems to be just plain buggy.

Does anyone know if there is any problem with using the Debian/Ubuntu Software Centre in Mint?
graeme

Post by graeme »

One possible problem with the Software Centre in Mint is that it installs the Gnome update manager and update notifier. I assume that they can be turned off, but I am in no mood to experiment at the moment.
graeme

Post by graeme »

I solved it in my case. The Policykit agent was not running. See my other thread. If you are not asked for authentication this may be the problem.
zetanouma

Post by zetanouma »

@squev:

I just installed LMDE this morning and had the exact same problem while trying to install Inkscape. Through command line I found the problem was that I had to update the repositories. Then mintinstall, the software manager, works.

This is the command:
sudo apt-get update

Note: I did not find any way to update the repositories in mintinstall 7.3.3 and THIS is a huge flaw. The fact that the software manager does not output the connections issues is also a terrible behavior. :shock:

Return to “Software & Applications”