How to get the best driver for my Nvidia geforce 9650M GT

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gasolin

Post by gasolin »

Cant get the right driver for my Nvidia Geforce 9650M GT(what to use and how).

The 3 d experimental noveau driver dosn't let me adjust the screen (no nvidia x server setting) and a bit graphic problems when i boote.

The recomended driver is only giving me a refresh rate of 50 hz and get the message that it is activated but not in use, the last driver is mabye the same in performance,as the recomended driver.

If i want to use the newest driver from nvidia 275 version i have to exit x server and that is f........ hard to do, can't figure out how to (i no how to google)

Using mint 11 64 bit

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: How to get the best driver for my Nvidia geforce 9650M G

Post by dawgdoc »

Since your system is booting into the nouveau driver by default you may have to change this at the Grub bootloader screen by blacklisting nouveau before it is loaded. Once you have added the boot parameter I believe your system will load using the mesa drivers. If so you should be able to install the recommended driver from the Hardware Driver application. THIS POST by strikefreedom tells you how to blacklist the nouveau driver at startup.

THIS nvidia page has more info about interacting with the nouveau driver when installing the proprietary nvidia driver. See sectopm 8.1, it is near the bottom of the page. Link was from THIS POST by mikecz
dawgdoc

Re: How to get the best driver for my Nvidia geforce 9650M G

Post by dawgdoc »

Looking a little further I found THIS POST re: driver activated but not in use on an install of Mint 11. It is marked solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”