Default Email Application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ianfm

Default Email Application

Post by ianfm »

I have just installed Mint 11, I was happily using Mint 10 up until now.

I have tried to set my default mail application in the preferred applications menu to gnome-gmail as this is what I used in Mint 10 but there is no option in Mint 11 to change from Thunderbird.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong. If I can't choose my own default mail application to use gmail then this appears to be a retrograde step. In which case I will have to revert back to 10.

Regards
Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: Default Email Application

Post by sgosnell »

That option won't show up if it isn't installed. Is gnome-gmail installed on your 11 system?
ianfm

Post by ianfm »

Yes it is installed,I installed it from the software manager. In Mint 10 you could select a custom option for both the webbrowser and email but this appears to have gone out of Mint 11.
dsteele

Post by dsteele »

To work with GNOME 3, the file gnome-gmail.desktop needs to have the following line:

MimeType=application/mbox;message/rfc822;x-scheme-handler/mailto;

This will be included with the next release.
coolpup

Post by coolpup »

ianfm wrote:I have just installed Mint 11, I was happily using Mint 10 up until now.

I have tried to set my default mail application in the preferred applications menu to gnome-gmail as this is what I used in Mint 10 but there is no option in Mint 11 to change from Thunderbird.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong. If I can't choose my own default mail application to use gmail then this appears to be a retrograde step. In which case I will have to revert back to 10.

Regards
Ian
You may have to dig into gconf-editor and do it that way. Either open a terminal, or do the Alt-F2 thing, and type gconf-editor. Then:

Code: Select all

-> Move to /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto
-> Right-click on “command” field and Click on “Edit Key” and modify to thunderbird %s — for example

-> Check the “enable” field
-> Uncheck the “needs_terminal” field
-> Close it and you’re done. 
You'd be replacing thunderbird, in the example above, with gnome-mail. This is with Mint 10, although I would guess it'd be similar with Mint 11.
ianfm

Post by ianfm »

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I have not had chance to try out your suggestions because I encountered another problem in LM11. I can no longer use my external monitor on LM11 as an extended desktop. This worked in LM10 with no trouble but all I get in LM11 is either flickering screen or the system locks up and I have to reboot.

I trawled the web looking for any solutions and found various references to xorg.conf but couldn't find any such file, so I found that you have to create one so I tried that and completely messed everything up. I was so frustrated I reverted to LM10.

I just don't understand how an upgrade to a later version is in effect a step back, everything that you try to do becomes so complicated. I do not really want to go back to windows but at least with windows everything works without having to spend hours trying to figure things out.

Anyway thanks for your help.

PS - If anyone knows how I can get my external monitor to work in LM11 then I would be eternally grateful.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

ianfm wrote:I just don't understand how an upgrade to a later version is in effect a step back, everything that you try to do becomes so complicated. I do not really want to go back to windows but at least with windows everything works without having to spend hours trying to figure things out.
Well, welcome to the wonderful world of Linux...! And Ubuntu. :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
subeh.sharma

Post by subeh.sharma »

Are u using Nvidiea graphic card?
ianfm

Post by ianfm »

subeh.sharma wrote:Are u using Nvidiea graphic card?
No, my laptop is a Lenovo 300N100 running an Intel 945G chipset. Worsk fine in Linux Mint 10 but with version 11 its a no go.

Return to “Software & Applications”